Ultimate Subaru Message Board

91 Loyale Oil Dumping from Exhaust

Long story as short as I can make it 😆

91 Loyale with a swapped EA82 from a 100k mile wreck. In my infinite laziness I didn't do the head gaskets before install (100k? What can be wrong with it? Ran fine when wrecked..... etc, etc, etc......lol) Passenger side head gasket blown, replaced in car, drove for several thousand miles with no issues at all. It actually ran really well. Go to start it one day, smoke show out of the exhaust. I figured the other side let go and pulled it in the driveway until I could get to it. Before tearing in the other side, something told me to drop the exhaust just to make sure what was what. Wouldn't you know it, it's the passenger side again, HOWEVER, with the exhaust down, it is literally dumping oil on the ground from the exhaust port along with the smoke. 

Question: What could cause this? It's too much oil to be rings (I think,) and it happened all at once. Head gasket again? Cracked head? Or could something wonky with my cam tower install cause this? The fact that it ran great (and still does) leads me to something simple, but I wanted to pick the collective mind before I decide to tear into it. 

Thanks in advance. 

Dan

On 2/21/2023 at 10:11 PM, scoobydube said:

You need a new cylinder head.  When they crack, they usually spill coolant into the exhaust at a couple of places.  But oil is pushed through the cylinder head as well.  You may have driven it too hard.

It was/is a $400 parts car that I managed to cobble together for a running / driving / cold  AC short trip to work car. I guess a different head is best case scenario. I'll strip one out of the shed and see what happens. The only thing I'm really out at this point is time.  

Thanks for the sanity check/ input! 

Dan