Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How long should I leave the break in oil in, before the first oil change on a rebuilt engine?

I've gotten a little over 500 miles on the rebuilt EJ25, and I'm starting to wonder when I should do the first oil change. I filled it with Royal Purple special break in oil, I've been trying not to run at any one RPM for very long, doing all the usual break in routine.

Should I change it out soon? or maybe just swap out the filter and keep using that fancy, expensive oil a couple thousand more miles?  There's very little carbon showing in the oil, so I suspect the rings are seating nicely.

"Get on to the manufacturer" was a good suggestion. Here's what RP says:

We recommend using our Engine Break-In Oil for a minimum of 500-1,000 miles in street driven gasoline engines to assure that the complete ring break-in has been completed before switching to one of our full synthetic engine oils. If need be, you can use for up to 2500 miles.

• Like 2

I don't use specially formulated "break-in" oils. Just the conventional version of what I'll run normally after break-in. 500-1000 miles before changing to anything synthetic should be sufficient. Sometimes I drain the oil at 250 miles or so just to have a look at it and if nothing scary is seen, I'll pour it back in the engine (filtering through a very fine mesh screen) and run another 500 miles on it before the first drain and refill with the oil I plan to use long-term.

• Like 2

The first oil change is to flush out and machining swarf and loose particles.  Put in conventional oil now, cut open the filter and inspect oil.  It's an EJ25 with standard rings and metal headgasket, after the first oil change and you don't find unusual glitter, just drive it hard and get the seating over with.  Get it warm, accelerate harder than usual, use lots of engine braking in between.