Ultimate Subaru Message Board

immobiliser 101 earlier models , question

If I am correct , our market in Australia got the first Forester in 1997 - without immobiliser anti theft module. The 1998 and on got them. 

Who knows what is cut? Is it just an injector cut or is spark also prevented ?

Reading the workshop manual, I found that if there is a malfunction of the immobiliser circuit, the key shaped dash light will light up (or flash ?) in just the IGN ON/ENG OFF status of the ignition switch.

Just wondering if I do have immobiliser issue that is keylight shy, would I expect power at the coil with IGN ON, but not cranking

• 2 weeks later...

well, that query fell flat with all the combined genius in here .:(

this beast is up and running, suspecting the main relay, as it was the last thing I pulled and tested. I am wondering if my test rig for relays may have cleaned up some dicky contacts inside the  glue sealed relay. Running an air horn compressor freely, as the new load for the relay, was maybe a bit like sending a couch potato for it's first 100m dash in it's life :)

After reinstalling the same original relay, not only did I get a start, I got a run and even a short test drive with none of the issues of before.

Now, the immobiliser , apart from power and grounding connections to the ECU, it has two wires of interest.

At some point, both wires back probe tested all connected up, there is 01.83Volts in each, until it is started and runnng, then they both have higher Voltage, like 10.80 Volts

Anyone understand this?

Odd thing to do. The Queens Arms and the Mt Edgecomb (now closed) pubs are about a block away from each other. Easy walking distance. 

Dunno what part the cat played, it was tough reading the small article. Interesting that someone tried for a workers compo claim, seems not much has changed since then! 

As for the immobiliser, I don’t know how it works or if they can be tricked as such. I always thought you needed a matching ECU, key transponder and immobiliser magic box to make it all work and that it’s rare for them to have issues. But from what I can see from adverts for immobiliser sets the ECU isn’t married to the immobiliser unit in the vehicle. 

Anyway, it seems you’ve re-sparked the old relay that may be the cause of your previous running issue. I hope it’s still all going well/strong without a hint of an issue lurking! 

Cheers 

Bennie

• Like 1

I am thinking back to the GF8 Impreza of 2000MY , made in late 99, that became the eventual donor of the long motor in this Foz. I don't recall an immobiliser module being separate from the ECU so may be a case with the Denso ECU bolted on the block - to have a separate immobiliser. I have seen Imp ECU for sale on eBay with the immobiliser , ignition switch, lock and barrel and "antennae" ring that sits around lock's front. - as a job lot. From what I can make out from the manuals is the key's internal chip?  is tuned to the immobiliser module and for security purposes not discussed further in the manual other than saying a limited number of people know how to code key to module. The ring around ignition barrel is just an antennae to pick up the signal.

As for the workers comp claim - I dare say it was the poor cyclist's family needing to claim against their loss - possibly not knowing the full circumstances. Yes, hard  to read due to being a photo using phone, of microfische screen, of a scan of a 1916 newspaper ! Seems no different for a few MB or few KB reproduction.