Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1987 subaru waterpump problems

I am having overheating problems, i just replaced the thermostat but still having problems, could it be the waterpump? If so how do you put those in, and where are they exactly in 1987 subaru loyale. please help sonfused in Tahoe

I am having overheating problems, i just replaced the thermostat but still having problems, could it be the waterpump? If so how do you put those in, and where are they exactly in 1987 subaru loyale. please help sonfused in Tahoe

As said in the other post, other things can cause the cooling issue. If you loosen the belts you can check to see it the WP wobbles. This is a tale tale sign that a WP is having issues. Often, the WP will leak, and surely that means a replacement is due.

I replaced the WP on my 1994 Loyale (EA-82) engine. This project isn't for the faint. The WP is located under the timing belt cover. A lot of stuff has to come off to get to all the bolts. Give yourself a whole day for this one. Most important thing is to loosen the fan pulley while the belts are on it, otherwise, it is tough to loosen.

On my Loyale I had A/C and that caused me to loosen and move alll that stuff.

As said in the other post, other things can cause the cooling issue. If you loosen the belts you can check to see it the WP wobbles. This is a tale tale sign that a WP is having issues. Often, the WP will leak, and surely that means a replacement is due.

I replaced the WP on my 1994 Loyale (EA-82) engine. This project isn't for the faint. The WP is located under the timing belt cover. A lot of stuff has to come off to get to all the bolts. Give yourself a whole day for this one. Most important thing is to loosen the fan pulley while the belts are on it, otherwise, it is tough to loosen.

On my Loyale I had A/C and that caused me to loosen and move alll that stuff.

Thanks so much for your posts finally got everything a part so now all I/we need to do is take back the wp i bought because Napa sold me the wrong one. Wouldn't of known this until i got it out, and boy are you right there sure is a lot of stuff to remove. Almost might as well take out the engine (just kidding) hopefully I/we can put this all back together. Any suggestions on a plan of attack on putting things back together? I'm always into shortcuts. Thanks Judy Domingo

Thanks so much for your posts finally got everything a part so now all I/we need to do is take back the wp i bought because Napa sold me the wrong one. Wouldn't of known this until i got it out, and boy are you right there sure is a lot of stuff to remove. Almost might as well take out the engine (just kidding) hopefully I/we can put this all back together. Any suggestions on a plan of attack on putting things back together? I'm always into shortcuts. Thanks Judy Domingo

No shortcuts. You have to wind yourself out the way you came in. Be sure that pesty little tube that feeds the pump is seated, otherwise, you may have a small leak. Hopefully you'll remember which bolts went where and the right length. Sure are a lot of them to replace.

Everything seems fine with the waterpump situation, but now it seems the car has a problem starting and wants to die all the time. I told Steve (sigficant other) that the timing needs to be reset like in a tune-up, timing light etc. The idle is so slow it stalls out unless you keep your foot on the gas. Is it true that you have to do the timing and adjust the idle after replacing the waterpump or is this something else now? I am very interestsed in your opinion. Thanks for any and all help you've posted so far, it has been extremely helpful. J Domingo:)

If it was running fine before you did the water pump, then I would say you might have introduced a vacuum leak when you were working in there. Spray around with some carb cleaner and see if the sound of the engine changes. This will tell you if you have a leak or not.

Timing shouldn't have to be touched to do a water pump, so unless you messed with something you shouldn't, I would think the timing should be correct already.

GD

This is a reply to your last post.

supposedly nothing was touched except the items needed to change the waterpump,but how would we know what it is then. The car won't even start now, and iby chance we do get it started it almost dies right away, also the engine now has this knocking noise, none of which were happening BEFORE the overhearing issue. any suggestions as to what might be happening, also when we did finish the waterpump Steve did notice a small leak but it was coming from a place next to the thermostat. it looked like it was a whole for a screw, so Steve plugged it with a bolt he had. Should this cause a problem? Also he doesn't know what was in that hole before. He thinks that there was nothing in it. We wonder why it should leak through a place that it wasn't before, and i asked him if that wasn't plugged before why would you have to plugg it up now. Could that affect in any way the vacum system, as it is a closed system? I hope you understand what I am trying to explain. The issue now is why won't the car start when that was not a problem before?? ANY IDEAS? J DOMINGO

Well - it's pretty difficult to say what might have transpired. Not being an expert on EA82's myself, but having worked on them a bit, I still can't see that anything to do with the water pump would cause it not to start later. The knocking noise is somewhat disturbing..... it sounds like possibly you have coolant in on or more cylinders. Not sure how that got there by just doing a water pump, but I imagine that you filled the system with coolant, and possibly you had a blown head gasket and the water seeped into the cylinder after you fully filled it. I would pull the plugs and crank the engine over to see if you have any coolant in the cylinders. If not, then double check all your vacuum lines, and any electrical connections you might have disconnected. My guess is that you simply put something back together wrong..... what that might be I have no way of knowing without having been there.

Is this engine carbureted or fuel injected?

At any rate, for any engine to run, you need 4 things - air, fuel, ignition (spark), and compression. One of those is missing for you, and you need to figure out which one it is. Process of elimination can help here. I'm guessing you have air (air filter isn't dirty is it?), and you can check for spark easily enough with a paper clip. Compression you shoul have if it ran before, so that leaves fuel..... It's most likely a fuel delivery problem that is preventing it from starting. Either you have coolant in the combustion chamber, or you have a fuel delivery issue (vacuum leak, etc).

GD