Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How badly are trim pieces/clips damaged during windshield replacement?

• 2 weeks later...

The T-type trim is inherently leaky since the embedded portion is a pathway for the water to find the bottom edge of the glass, causing a leak.  I used RTV black silicone along both the top and bottom and kept the factory trim look by using some paint edging tape to make a perfect edge.  Although I reused the corner trim pieces, I would not have needed to since I also could have produced a perfect corner with the edging tape and RTV.  The original trim is no longer available anywhere.  You can get some T-type trim from Rock Auto, but it is going to cause a leak.  The bottom edge of your subaru windshield frame is probably rusted out pretty good.  You can reform the original metal frame with BONDO - FIBER.  The holes in the existing trim will allow the bondo to flow through and get a grip on the old metal.  You can form the bottom free edge of your new drippy Bondo, with some duct tape that you allow to sag between the edges so as to form a continuous back side surface that keeps the new upper flat Bondo surface in place.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, scoobydube said:

The T-type trim is inherently leaky since the embedded

The bottom edge of your subaru windshield frame is probably rusted out pretty 

T-Type:  is that the 1/2” T shape trim at the exterior top of the windshield?  The stalk of the “T” sits down in the windshield gasket?

• 1 month later...
On 12/25/2023 at 1:28 PM, idosubaru said:

T-Type:  is that the 1/2” T shape trim at the exterior top of the windshield?  The stalk of the “T” sits down in the windshield gasket?

Yes, the original trim was a T-type with a very shallow embedded portion.  It still is a source of a leak.  Don't use any trim.  Form the new trim with RTV sealant and your windshield won't leak.