Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Correcting the Timing for 2005 Subaru Impreza RS

Aloha,

First time here so i hope someone can help me.

I had to replace the valves on my daughter's 2005 Subaru Impreza RS 2.5L SOHC and ran into a problem.

The driver side Camshaft Sprocket has two marks that appear to be for the timing.  There is a red dot and a white paint mark to the left (as seen when facing the engine) of the red dot.  Does anyone know which one is supposed to be lined up with the belt and mark on the engine?  I am also not able to turn the crankshaft sprocket by hand and i dont want to hit the cylinder against the valve.  NOt sure what to do at this point.

Really frustrated at this point with this car.

Mahalo!

Edited by Slathrop73

What you need to look for is a flat mark on the lip of the cam wheel. Do not use the arrow on the arm of the cam wheel - this is used to indicate which cylinder is at TDC depending on where it’s pointing. 

You should be able to rotate the engine by hand easily enough. Make sure it’s not in gear - and if the cam wheels are in a free position, where they can be easily turned back and forth freely, this indicates that the valves are in the closed position and there’s no way you can hit pistons and valves when in this position. 

If you still can’t rotate the engine you might have bigger problems at play. Hopefully this isn’t the case! 

For the crank there is a mark on a tooth at the back of the crank timing gear. 

All the best with it. 

Cheers 

Bennie