Ultimate Subaru Message Board

It's Coming Apart! Will It Go Back Together Again?

DV-523

I've been bit. I love these little wagons. Rust killed my first one, so I bought another broken Loyale, and I'm trying to Frankenstein together the best little Loyale I can get. I was too excited to take pictures of the wagon when I first got it home, so the best I've got is this little video My wife made after I pulled it into the driveway. You can see my son and I are already at work dissasembling it...

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C6i58VwuP_d/?igsh=cG9rY2IxZmZuMWg5

The car had been wrecked, but the front end on my old one is still in pretty good shape so I figured I'd just swap the body panels over and call it good, But I guess I can't do things the easy way. and now I'm cutting, welding, sanding, and repainting every spot of rust I can find on the thing.

Here are some photos of the damage to the fender support and core support. Not terrible, but I will be replacing it. The battery tray has rotten away, so that's coming out as well.

20240205_181804reduced.jpg

20240205_181754reduced.jpg

I was really impressed with the condition of the radiator. Only slightly overinflated. I guess a couple cylinders may have taken on part time jobs as compressors since the head gaskets have taken a vacation. Pretty sick balloon anyway.

20240507_200631reduced.jpg

And here we are as it sits tonight. Wiring harness, AC Lines, Cables, Coolant overflow lines, everything has been evacuated from the front drivers side corner. Hope to start cutting tomorrow!

20240508_205143reduced.jpg

20240508_205201.jpg

• Like 2

Rain delay today. I'll have to try again tomorrow.

Thanks azdave! There is precious little rust on the car which I'm pretty excited about.

Got to work on it again this weekend. I've finished removing the rust and damaged areas of the car. ready to weld a new corner on.

I'll be using the drivers side corner from my previous Loyale since it is miraculously in good enough shape. Here are the photos!

20240511_155439reduced.jpg

20240511_155445reduced.jpg

• Like 1

And here are the photos of the donor. My old Loyale. Nearly ready to make cuts on it. Just need to remove the hood latch cable and the bumper, wiring harness, and the horn.

Also, despite the horrendous frame rust on my old loyale, the body panels are in excellent shape. so as I get a bit farther with the new Loyale, and know what I'm not going to need. I'll likely start parting out what I can. I'd rather see it used than scrapped. At the moment, I'm thinking of hanging on to the engine and trans (I like the idea of having spares), but I don't have a lot of storage space, so we'll see what I wind up doing.

20240511_155450reduced.jpg

20240511_155457reduced.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I've got the corner cut off the donor car now. Mocked it up in the new loyale, and I'm pretty happy with fitment. Bolt holes and such are lining up where they need to. Just getting started grinding out the rust around the area and will repaint before I weld it in. I'm thinking I'll put the fender, headlight, and the little strip above the bumper in to line everything up perfect before I tack it in place. We'll see if it works.

20240527_163215.jpg

20240527_163227.jpg

20240527_163234.jpg

• Like 1