Ultimate Subaru Message Board

carburators

Hello all,

I am new to the group. I don't currently own a Subaru, but am more interested in the Subaru engines.

Recently I pulled a carburated EA-82 from an '86 GL wagon for a hovercraft I am building. For simplicity and performance, I want to replace the stock carburator with something else. Does anyone have any suggestions that will not cost a fortune?

Thanks in advance, Jeff

You won't get any simpler or better than a 32/36 DGV weber. Pricy if new (around $350 for the kit) but can be found used at the wrecking yards for substantially less. You find them here on the Board for about $75 used and recently I saw one posted at around $130 rebuilt (I trust the rebuilder....I bought two from him a while back).

Hello all,

I am new to the group. I don't currently own a Subaru, but am more interested in the Subaru engines.

Recently I pulled a carburated EA-82 from an '86 GL wagon for a hovercraft I am building. For simplicity and performance, I want to replace the stock carburator with something else. Does anyone have any suggestions that will not cost a fortune?

Thanks in advance, Jeff

I'm also looking for for a guage set for the EA-82 if anyone has one for sale.

Jeff

I've got some 2 5/8 autometer gauges (oil press, coolant temp, voltage) with electrical senders for sale. Brand new, unused, open boxes. Paid around $250ish for them. Make me an offer.

I guess you would like pics. Hmm, it might take a couple days.

What can you tell me about that carb?

I'd be interested if someone has one to sell.

Will that carb require an adapter?

Jeff

The carb typically comes with an adapter, especially when bought in the $350 kit form. The adapter itself does show up occasionally.

The 32/36 weber is a progressive carb, with interchangeable main jets, pilot tubes, and other stuff. they work well on a myriad of smaller engines, including Toyotas, Subarus and Volkswagens.

They will feed AMC 258 straight sixes very well, also.

Hello all,

Thanks in advance, Jeff

Jeff, I know you've already pulled an EA-82 engine, but I would think an EA-81 would be more adaptable to what you have in mind. Somewhat lighter altho still an 1800cc engine and no timing belts to fail suddenly. Just a thought.

If you're looking for an ultra-cheap upgrade carb, Hitachi made a larger carb that will bolt up to the EA82 manifold without an adapter. You can find it on 2 liter Nissan truck engines (and maybe Isuzu?). The EA82 carb is a 28mm/32mm progressive, while the Nissan one is a 30mm/34mm progressive. Since it was used on older trucks, it is not computer controlled and doesn't have too much extra crap attached to it.

Sadly, I have not had the chance to test this carb's performance on a Subaru engine yet, but have only test fit one at a junkyard. If you're willing to experiment, this could be a good way to save some dough.

I've got some 2 5/8 autometer gauges (oil press, coolant temp, voltage) with electrical senders for sale. Brand new, unused, open boxes. Paid around $250ish for them. Make me an offer.

I guess you would like pics. Hmm, it might take a couple days.

Yeah, I'd like to see some pics, though I'm not too sure what I'm looking for. Just want to keep it simple, but guages are a must when you use an engine for an engine setup that was not original.

No hurry on pics, I'll keep my eyes open.

Thanks

Jeff

Jeff, I know you've already pulled an EA-82 engine, but I would think an EA-81 would be more adaptable to what you have in mind. Somewhat lighter altho still an 1800cc engine and no timing belts to fail suddenly. Just a thought.

Actually, the EA-81 is the preferred engine, but after a lot of searching, I felt fortunate to find a carburated EA-82. Also, I think the 82 is about 10 more hp stock than the 81. Other than that, I'm not sure what the differences are.

Thanks,

Jeff