Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Greetings...first post and first question :)

pwoens

I just came across this website and browsed it and I have to say this site ROCKS!!! I dig the layout and it appears you have a bunch of excellent resources that can provide answers to any question:cool:

I have an 88 GL10 wagon 4wd. Its got 270,000 miles on it but still runs really well....although she does have her little idiosyncrasies (SP??). My first question is this: The car cuts out a little when I really get on the gas or its under a load going up a hill. Its nothing too serious and I havent checked the simple things yet like plugs, wires, cap/rotor, ect.. I got the car for free and the turbo was just rebuilt so I dont think it is the turbo but I no nothing about turbos so ?? My cousin said that his subaru did the same thing and it was cause the fuel lines were getting too warm???

Any ideas??

Thanks,

patrick

Maybe its the fuel cut off kicknig in? You can only boost so much before the computer starts cutting fuel supply. Someone before you might have tried turning up the boost a little and now when you get on the gas hard you hit the fuel cut off.

Just a guess :)

Any other symtoms ?

Maybe its the fuel cut off kicknig in? You can only boost so much before the computer starts cutting fuel supply. Someone before you might have tried turning up the boost a little and now when you get on the gas hard you hit the fuel cut off.

Just a guess :)

Any other symtoms ?

Hey Morgan...no not really any other symptons that I can think of. Just cuts out a little under heavy gas or a load, at idle or when accelerating normal it doesnt seem to do it??

So, dumb question, how do I turn the boost down a notch??

Thanks for the reply!

I'm no turbo expert but I belive you modify the waste gate so that it opens sooner and bleeds off boost sooner. How? Dunno... maybe someone can weight in on that.

Great suggestions above. Start with a tune up. Also try some premium gas. I would honestly run premium (read: higher octane) all the time with a turbo engine.

Next time it's cutting out like that, turn down the radio and listen to the engine. Do you hear a light metallic rattling type noise that goes away when you back off the throttle? If so, the engine is pinging, and with that amount of mileage it's probably due to carbon buildup. A bottle of seafoam into the PCV works wonders. Oil Can Henry's offers a "fuel system clean" for like $40 that seems to work fairly well. The "cutting out" you feel is the knock control system retarding the timing. Another possibility is that the timing is off, it should be 20 degrees BTDC at 800 RPM (manual) or 700 RPM (automatic) with the green test connectors plugged in. (Some models have them under the dash, some have them under the hood, next to the driver's side strut tower, where the wiring harness comes out of the firewall). Good luck!

Thanks for the input everyone. I picked up plugs, gapped them at 40, wires, and cap/rotor yesterday. Installed them and it runs like a champ now. 40 bucks in parts from my buddy at Napa and the sub runs like new. Thanks again for the input.

This PVC pipe you mention...which pipe is this??