Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Bigger tires for 2003 Outback?

• 1 year later...
Hello,

Well, my O.E. Bridgestone Potenzas are about to be replaced (55,000 miles). Does anybody have any suggestions for replacements? Is it possible to stuff a 235/65/16 in? Is anyone running an all-terrain tire? Any help would be appreciated!

dustin

I think I'm the only one inthe world to run a 215/75R15 yokohama Geolander AT+II's which are 1" larger overall diameter than stock 225/60R16. I had to grind the front calipers a 1/4" to fit the 15" wheels on and I'm lifted 2" as well.

I know there are a few folks running 18's with low profile tires pretty wide as well.

Check out www.subaruoutback.org

upandaway.jpg

I'm not familiar enough with North Carolina's winters to know whether or not you get significant snowfalls or none at all, but here in Southern Ontario, Canada, we can and do get more than our share. I changed my 02 OBW summer stock mags and tires for steel wheels and ice grip tires each fall, more to maintain the mag wheels, but for the added traction as well. Unfortunately, I stayed with the stock tire size for the winter tires, and I find that the 225's ride up on top of the snow and slush and aquaplane at much slower speeds than my 97 OBW did with the same ice grip tires, but at the narrower width of 215. The wider tires just do not cut through the snow at moderately high speeds like a narrower tire will. If this is a concern for you, go to a narrower width.