Ultimate Subaru Message Board

solid axle / lifted subaru

grant

uhhh... they sell tractor tires for 14 and 15 inch rims... no need to create them... they are a little closer to street legal too....

All I can say it you haven't seen "grant-0-vations" yet ;). Possibly not "The Red-Green show either. It's about taking things you've got in your back yard and redneck-engineering them to solve a problem. The fun is in that challenge.

Grant I lost my 1st response, yes I can take those pics and measurements tomorrow, there was some other stuff I said but I can't remember.

You're no fun! ;) I know, I've got 52" tractor tires on my buggy... And even with those I built the 24" rims from scratch.

Its not so much that I want tractor tires, but that I have a drive to create something. I just picked up two free 31" 235/85R16s on rims today. Let the fun begin!

Hmmm... I guess before I can make any decisions I'd need to see a picture of the pass side of the engine compartment (where the axle would be). Maybe you could throw a tape measure in there for scale?

Looks like it will work out though...

I obtained two 31s yesterday and I'm getting 6 more wednesday...all free and bald. ;) I'm going to pick up some 1.5x.25 angle too.

But no one I've seen has been crazy enough to bolt steel onto the tires! ;)

There is also a conversion kit out of JC Whittney for about $250 that will turn all most any 1/2 ton and up semi/full float axle into a dually.

I thought my travelall looked stupid with single tires, so I put duallys on it.

travelall-snowrear.JPG

Yeah, the Crustacean(sp?) is one wicked rig, but there isn't much left of it that is suzuki besides the engine and drivetrain. It's not only got the rear wheel steer, but the full steering is hydrolic, it's got front and rear lockers, full tube chassis, onboard air, and no creature comforts, pure rock crawler.

But seeing it in person is definatly kewl (the Trail Tough shop is right down the road from my house).

Af far as the dual wheel thing though, ain't that hard to do, just gotta make up a spacer to go between the inside wheel and the outside one, and wah lah. Shouldn't take too long to do.

Either way you guys have fun with your stone age madness, some of us with shear technolust are moving forward with our suspensions.