Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Chugging Justy...help please

I put this here because I'm not really sure where the problem is in my car, but I was hoping to describe what's going on and see if anyone knows what is wrong.

First of all, the car is really chuggy in first and second gears and jackrabbits quite a bit. I know that the clutch is engaging, so I don't think it's related to that. It smooths out somewhat in third and fourth and has better performance in general, but it still chugs some once you get up to speed in either of those gears. Also, it didn't slowly get worse; it was just suddenly performing very badly.

One thing that my husband thinks is worth noting: He noticed haziness on the windows, as if some condensation is occuring, so maybe some steam is coming into the car? He mentioned it because his mother's old Maxima once had a similar problem with condensation and he thinks that she found out that coolant was getting into the engine. The difference is that our condensation is barely noticable, whereas hers was boiling into the car while she was driving it. He wants to know if this could be our problem, and does that jive with the car performing better in higher gears?

If anyone has any suggestions at all, they would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

By the way, I *think* that our Justy is an '88.

Welcome to the board.

My 89 GL used to do this about once a year at startup, then mysteriously run fine shortly afterward. The gear shift would shake at idle. There was a significant power loss. I figure after enough parts were changed I got rid of the problem. One time it didn't go away and it was determined that a timing belt had slipped a tooth. If you have an inductive pickup timing light you could check this. Ask for help on this if you need it.

Have you noticed a loss in power? Maybe a cylinder isn't firing. How does the chugger idle? Try to pull plugs, one at a time. Wrap a rag around the rubber boot of the plug (with gloves on if the engine is hot) You might do a dry run to check for hand holds that aren't moving. If the engine dies down a little and runs rougher then that cylinder is getting spark and fuel. If there isn't a change, then go from there to figure out why (bad plug wire, bad plug, etc.)

89Ru

Have you noticed a loss in power? Maybe a cylinder isn't firing. How does the chugger idle?

Yeah, it does some to have less power, but it does idle...it's right on the edge of stalling without actually stalling.

Oh, and I think my husband has an inductive pickup timing light; I'll have to ask him.