Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Oh no...it's the turbo!

Okay, I finished the hub install last night...piece of cake. So I'm on my maiden voyage to work this morning and I'm approaching a good size hill, when out of nowwhere she starts to miss a little. Then the turbo quicks in and she falls flat on her face. My power instantly left, I had to nurse it the rest of the way to work. Now when the turbo kicks in I hear a sound like air escaping, or a hissing sound...and boom flat on the face. I let her run while I got a donut to let the turbo cool, now the turbo doesn't seem to want to kick in. Help She's a 87 GL 10T. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I did a more throughout check during my "smoke Break" since I'm at work and found that indeed the intake pipe was a little bit loose and wiggled around on the hose that connects it to the turbo. Tightened down the crappy hose clamps and presto...she runs again. Feels like there may be some hesitation at lower rpms now, but still driveable. Thanks for the help. I love this forum!!!!!

Yea, i've had that happen on my car, the piping from the intercooler has blown completly off a couple times, my fault not tightening the clamps enough.

You may want to reset your ecu if you still have hesitation problems now, did you throw a check engine light while you were leaking air? it would have been an maf error, or something like that. btw, just disconnect battery for like ten minutes to reset your ecu.

Thanks, I didn't throw a code, but I'm going to reset the ecu anyways, cause she's still hesitant.

Yea, i've had that happen on my car, the piping from the intercooler has blown completly off a couple times, my fault not tightening the clamps enough.

You may want to reset your ecu if you still have hesitation problems now, did you throw a check engine light while you were leaking air? it would have been an maf error, or something like that. btw, just disconnect battery for like ten minutes to reset your ecu.

LOL.. that happened to me the first night I cranked the boost up to 12psi or so...

My wife and I went to dinner that night. Took my car because I wanted to drive my freshly faster subaru.. My wife, knowing what I had done made sure to clarify "its not going to blow up oir break down is it?". I responded with "of course not. Its a subaru. Plus all work has been done by me.. what could possibly go wrong?"

Nice uneventful evening.. Until we were about 2 miles from home on the way back. Got off the freeway.. heard a little 'poof'.. Car sputtered, sputtered.. Died.

I coasted into a parking lot and popped the hood.. Getting the evil eye from my wife the whole time. took about 5 minutes to figure out what was wrong.. IC hose had blown off.. and about one minute to rectify the situation..

To this day she is alway hesitant to ride in my car.. asks me if its going to blow up every time she gets in..lol

Anyway.. Thought I'd share that;)