Ultimate Subaru Message Board

scored turbo setup! +Qs

Okay, so I got a sweet deal on the turbo setup from an 86 gl10t 2wd sedan. 75 bucks for "everything I need to make my car turbo" including heads. However he (guy who owns/operates the yard) is unsure about the condition of the engine internals, he bought it as is with no description. Only about 170k kms. Im gonna try and get the car started before I start dismantling.

So I have some electrical questions: I'm hearing that I have to completely swap harnesses, including dash and everything. The donor car is an 86 turbo (3at)with analog dash, and my car is GL SPFI (5spd) with analog dash. Is this going to be more or less plug and play?

Im also considering compression ratios. Since my car is a total off-roader, I dont want to run 7.7:1 compression, because I need to have my motor able to chug along at 500-1000rpms or lower. So I'm thinking about turboing my car on 9.5:1 compression and maybe doing some work on the heads to eliminate the ridges in the comb. chamber. I would stick to premium fuel, intercooled, and stock boost. Or tear into my short block and put carb pistons in. I know that my short block is healthy, so I'd prefer not to replace or tear it apart. What do you turbo gurus think?

I started a thread a few weeks back on turbo with 9+cr... might want to read through it to get a quick read on opinions.

I'll let others who know something tell you about wiring/dash. et al. But you do need to grab the front crossmember from the Turbo car as it is notched for the turbo plumbing.

Gotta run...

Pat

crossmember is not a problem since my crossmember is sitting 6" lower and 3" forward of its usual position ;) I'll look for that post.

So your engine is now mounted on something other than this crossmember? (I'm ignorant of lifting options... I tend towards going lower.)

crossmember is not a problem since my crossmember is sitting 6" lower and 3" forward of its usual position ;) I'll look for that post.
Okay. You might need to modify your custom sub for the stock crossove/uppipe, but maybe not. Sounds like you have plenty of room for a customized pipe...:slobber:

As far as the dash and the wiring harness goes it is mostly plug and play if you grab everything from the dash foraward on the donor car. I followed that long thread on Wjm's? car with the carb block turboed, he had put a lot of miles on with no chiller too i think. A turbo block spooled up and pushin what was it 45:1 gear ratio? :brow:

A bit of work but why not.

I can get the thing to spray gravel with 28:1, and it still rallies fine with the wider stance. Though on one occasion I oversteered too much and clipped a 6" rock wall. I barely felt it, thanks to the big tires. :brow: Im going to spend a few days at the yard carefully recording and organizing the parts as I take them off, because it may be some time before it (the turbo stuff) goes on the wagon. My goal is to get it streetable first (exhaust, good driveshafts, correct # of lugs on each wheel)

check out this pic:

129100_0586res.jpg