Ultimate Subaru Message Board

oil leak question

I have a 90 loyale 4wd wagon (220,000 miles) and it leaks oil. I think it is coming from the rear seals. I assume it will cost several hundred dollars to fix (yes, I use a mechanic). My question is do the gaskets usually hold up pretty well after replacing them? Should I expect no oil leak? Thanks for any input.

Loyales leak...just a common known fact:grin:. They leak from the valve cover gaskets,oil pan, rear main,cam seal..u name it ..they leak from it.If the leak isnt too bad alot of us just let it go until its time to pull the motor for a clutch or something. Its nothing to be super concerned about as long as it isnt pouring oil on the ground....a leaky Loyale is NOT a rusty Loyale. To replace the gaskets is easy....its a Subaru..everything is basically easy.

My 92 Loyale goes through about a quart a week.I will probably replace the gaskets in the spring if my clutch holds out that long or I get a second car to drive so I can put my motor in the living room and do it all while watching TV.

like connie said, unless its not retaining any oil there's no reason to spend the amount of money it takes to fix it. a quart a week is a pretty huge loss of oil but it still beats spending $300+ dollars for some shop to rip you off.

my theory: the more you try to fix something the more its gonna break down in the future. that principle seems to be more true if you dont do your own work, because some mech's will go so far as to screw something else up so you bring your car back in (happened twice to me).