Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Can we archive this? 9.5:1 Turbo test

Guest wjmgl10

Guest wjmgl10

Anything is possible. Nothing is impossible.

93 octane is back in her. I got a whole 26.7 mpg this time (on the 87). Ive seen better with 93.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest xt6org

There are a few of us XT6 owners who are trying various turbo and supercharger setups.

xt.zybx.com/Paul%27s_superchaged_XT6.htm

The XT6 came with 9.5:1 pistons and the XT and XT Turbo had the 8.5:1's. Turbo charging an XT6 is sort of the "holy grail" of mods for someone who owns a "wedge". Apparently it was something Subaru was considering back when the XT6 was a new model. In a 1988 Popular Science review of the car they quoted a Subaru design official as saying that they were experimenting with a twin turbo setup that produced 255HP... this in a 2795 lb car!:eek::D:eek: One of our XT6 group members (I think it's either Paul Singer's supercharged Six or Dave's turbo Six) is putting out something like 280HP! That's 10lbs per HP - roughly in 911 Turbo territory!:eek: :eek: :eek:

My point is you shouldn't have any problems with 9.5:1 pistons and 8 lbs of boost. It should be a pretty reliable setup. I don't know what kind of room you have in there (there's not a ton under the hood of an XT6 - ER27 flat six takes up some room and then there's that low sloping hoodline...) but you might consider intercooling it. I think I'm echoing someone else's words there, but it could add a few more ponies in addition to sucking down some more pressure.

Continued good luck to ya - I'd love to see that "draggin' wagon" smoke some Eclispes!

-Austin

'89 XT6 www.XT6.org

• 2 weeks later...
Guest wjmgl10

That's some really cool stuff!!

Actually, i belive that the XT n/a had 9.5:1 and the turbo had 7.7:1.

IC'in...I was seriously considering it at one time...but im not going to play around with it until I get a 2nd car, a VERY reliable SUBARU AWD, either an outback or impreza.

oh, 4,000 miles now. No problems engine related.

• 5 months later...
Originally posted by wjmgl10

I plan on getting a dyno done. I dunno when.

I get 93 octane at the pump. Around here, I know a place where I can get 104 or 110 that NASCAR uses...from a pump. I live near Charlotte Motor Speedway.

Back from the dead! :brow: You plan on getting any dyno numbers soon? I know you gave us an update but when I asked, I at least wanted you to know why I did. Thanks!

• 9 months later...

99.2 to the ground, and 141 est crank HP. TQ numbers were pretty high in the low range, and tappered off in the high end. No actual TQ numbers were convereted, seeing as no one really hit the conversion factor correctly.

Oh and the engine lasted 24,000 miles before a burned exh. valve and bad rings on cyl 1 put it to rest. It was still running fine (but only on 3 cyl) when I pulled it from the car.