Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1986 gl-10 loaded only 200 bucks

Hello all I am new to to the board and after reading a bunch of post

I am glad I found a great place with so much info.

I picke dup a 86 gl-10 wagon for 200bucks with blown trans and 114k on it after getting the new trans installed it drove great. I notice these cars dont have a lot of getup and go It takes forever to get to 70 is this how they run or is there a problem with the engine. I tuned it up new wires plugs and filters still no change in power . I notice the egr light is on and after cleaning the old one and putting back on it still has not gone out but when I run a vacume tester too it , it works fine..

What I am asking is are these cars always lacking power or is there somthing I am missing.

Thanks

The only thing you are missing is horsepower.:D Unfortunate but true. You have a fairly heavy car with the last carb'd engine. When Subaru went to fuel injection they got peppier. You'll find the car will take forever to get to 70 or 75 but it will run there all day without complaining. You'll need to learn conservation of momentum and using the gearbox (hopefully it's a manual...automatics are even slower) and pushing the engine to redline to get more pickup when needed. There are relatively inexpensive ways (considering you only paid $200 for the car)to get a little more power. Opening up the exhaust a bit and replacing the carb with a weber will help somewhat (hopefully you're in an area where the emissions police don't care what's under the hood as long as it's still clean enough to meet standards). Good luck with it; you'll find it's fun to drive--especially in the snow--and should be quite reliable as a daily driver.

What I am asking is are these cars always lacking power or is there somthing I am missing.

Thanks

I notice the egr light is on and after cleaning the old one and putting back on it still has not gone out but when I run a vacume tester too it , it works fine..

Thanks

If I'm not mistaken, the check engine light (not egr light) comes on every 60K and needs to be re-set by changing a wire in a plug underneath the dash. Info is posted elsewhere on this if that is the problem.

I took some digi photos of my factory manual about the EGR light. Edrach is right all you have to do is reverse a plug under your dash, follow the link to some pictures of where the plugs are located and a little behind the scens look at how it all works. I just tor apart my dash and there is acutally a little cam with a refigerator switch that trips after so many miles

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=306