Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82T: Long Block Solutions

Ive decided that I need to quit staring at my XT-T and fix the dam thing. My current engine, which leaks coolant badly (cracked head is my guess, water pours out the tailpipe) is in poor condition. This current block has overheated 3 times, and now im sure it is done, well, the shortblock might be okay, not sure though.

Anyways, what im trying to say, is there any thing that i could do for cheap, such as use a carb long/short block and put the turbo components on it. I talked with my subaru enlightened friend and he thinks it would be better to part the car out. It probably would be, but its in still good condition and if there is a cheap solution, I would love to get it running again. My only memory is the video in the pit at WCSS6 :) .

What are the collective thoughts of the USMB on this subject, anyone with a good turbo engine? Or does the carb engine swap over. Im new at this subject but I know WJM has used the carb block before with a turbo.

-Jay

Disclaimer: Not an expert, but I am good at regurgitating information.

The carb short block can work, according to reports. It lacks a top of block breather that "T" has, and it is higher compression... mixed bag there. The heads are different and will not fit the turbo manifolds. Ditto with everything except MPFI heads, and they may have troubles with not having proper coolant/oil fittings for turbo.

So, anything other than an MPFI block won't do you much good if your heads are fried. And the MPFI might still be unworkable.

How much is "too much" to spend? A JDM can be had for $700-800 last time I priced (awhile ago...), JY engines can be had for around $100. There is one near me where the car died due to crash RF corner... pretty sure engine is still OK (but yard man is giving me troubles :-\ ).

There is a company in Auburn that I have been told about that sells reman heads for what sounds like a fair price... less than I was quoted for a valve job alone, much less than valve and leak test.

Before you part the car, one of us may buy it. Though you could get more money if you part it than if you sell it to cheapskates like me.

Considering i have about $400 in the car a JDM engine, while being trouble free, is nearly twice what i have into it. Id love to keep the car, lots of fun times in it.

It seems ill have to start calling the yards, lookign for a low mileage turbo MPFI engine. I believe the shortblock is still good, but i dont want to take chances with it.

Also, made a post in the marketplace, looking for a good engine.

-Jay

Considering i have about $400 in the car a JDM engine, while being trouble free, is nearly twice what i have into it. Id love to keep the car, lots of fun times in it.

It seems ill have to start calling the yards, lookign for a low mileage turbo MPFI engine. I believe the shortblock is still good, but i dont want to take chances with it.

Also, made a post in the marketplace, looking for a good engine.

-Jay

OH... and before you get too depressed, you might consider pulling the x-over pipe and looking at the port divider (where the two exhaust port runners converge) in the head to see if it shows an apparent crack. If not, you might get away with just a HG.

When i have some free time in the daylight next week, ill jack it up and drop the uppipe to check the ports. But from the amount of water that pours out the exhaust while running, Im gonna go for a cracked head. Also these heads have been through 3 overheating situations as well.

-Jay