Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I am new to this board. I recently purchased a used 01 Forester from one of the mega used car dealers. I am very pleased except for two noises the brakes (or wheels) make.

1. When I first start moving, there is a "squeak, squeak, squeak" that accelerates as the car speeds up and is no longer present or noticeable once I am above about 30.

2. After I have been driving 15-20 minutes, the brakes squeal fairly loudly under what I would consider normal stopping conditions.

The mega used car dealer says they serviced the brakes prior to my puchase and that both noises are "normal". I am tired of going back to their service department - I would be surprised if they work on more than a handful of Subaru's in a year.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

It is not normal for them to squeak. Take the pads off of the front and put some anti squeal grease or spray on back of pads. Also take sandpaper and sand front of pads and rotors, If you have pads on back do the same if you have shoes then sand the drums and shoes. If that dont work you can switch sides with rotors, and also with drums. If that dont work you may need to replace pads, shoes and rotors and drums. It dont cost much at Auto Zone and it's very easy to do. The squeak when you first start off is probaly the brakes also, but if you have hub caps it could also be them.

I had a noticeable squeal from my rear disc. Turns out one of the pad was jammed and it was worn out. I replaced the rear pads with cheapo wearever silver pads from Advance Auto (they were the only ones available that day). They squealed for about 2000 miles off and on, and they are working fine now with minimal squeal. In short; suggestion would be cheap pads on stock or older rotors...