Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Advance, how much too much? and stuff.

I realize the car will detonate noticeably when I have too much, but I thought I'd ask for your input. Before I installed the IC all I could run was about 17deg adv. The FSM spec is 20 deg (+-) 2 deg. so I was close. It would detonate lots under load if I went higher than 17deg, we know why. Now that my combustion chamber temps are ice cold due to the IC and TB warmer hose by-passed I have her dialed in at 20-21 deg adv and it's a different car wholy cow! I'm happy with the performance, but has anyone melted, say, a piston if I go higher, not that I am I was just curious.

Side note. I swapped really heavy harmonic balancer my 82T had on it for an older, and much lighter, two groove ea81 crank pully and saved myself about 5 pounds of rotational mass. Try it, it works great!

With the I/C, custom conical air filter assy, 2.5" turbo back exh, lighter crank pulley, and upped advance she really scoots. Oh, I know the story with the T-stats, but when I put the I/C on I installed the Subaru 190deg stat back in and I find the computer really likes that much more. My MPG really went up after the swap. The ECU isn't trying to warm the engine up that extra 10deg it thinks it is suppose to be at.

I can't wait to drive her again, I'll get my oil pump today and hopfully my sound goes away.

Danny.

89Wag EA82T 5-spd 4x