Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Commonality ? ? ?

I've been working on my '83 GL wagon and posting from time to time. I came across a guy at work who basically wants to give away an '88 GL-10 4WD Turbo Wagon. It is supposed to be in "excellent condition", but doesn't run and he doesn't have time to fix it. I am pretty familiar with the early 80's genre, and the EA82s and Turbos are not something I want do dig into right now.

What I want to know is how much interchangeability is there? I have looked at photos in here and it is obvious that the body and trim style is completely different, but what about seats and other interior parts - my seats are trashed. How about mechanical components like alternators, starters, axles, etc? What about drive train? It's got a five speed tranny, will that drop into my '83 without modification? How about the rear differential - mine's kind of noisy.

Anyway, thanks for the help. If this works out I might have a lot of stuff that I don't need to offer up.

alternators and starters will swap.

tranny will bolt up to ea81 engine, but the turbo tranny is a 3.70 final ratio

rear diffs will also interchange as long as you keep the same ratio as the tranny.

seats can be made to fit the ea81 body with a few adapter plates

rear discs from the turbo are a direct bolt on upgrade for the ea81s.

I've been working on my '83 GL wagon and posting from time to time. I came across a guy at work who basically wants to give away an '88 GL-10 4WD Turbo Wagon. It is supposed to be in "excellent condition", but doesn't run and he doesn't have time to fix it. I am pretty familiar with the early 80's genre, and the EA82s and Turbos are not something I want do dig into right now...
I'd like the whole car. Help me make a deal with him and I can probably get you the parts you might want from my donor car. :brow:

I just emailed him.

Pat

I'd like the whole car. Help me make a deal with him and I can probably get you the parts you might want from my donor car. :brow:

I just emailed him.

Pat

You e-mailed him ? ? ? Him being the owner of the car ? ? ? How did you do that ? ? ?

But yeah, that's kind of what I had in mind and why I posted. I figured someone would want the car, and I'd be able to get some parts I could use. I am supposed to go look at it after work today, so I'll know more then.

You e-mailed him ? ? ? Him being the owner of the car ? ? ? How did you do that ? ? ?
Weee have wayssss... :brow:

Naw, another member posted ad info for a car matching the description, so I assumed that this was not a coincidence. BTW, I got a load of EA81 stuff, too. Nothing exotic, but good selection of spares.