Ultimate Subaru Message Board

mega noise

The other day had my Brat in the air and twisting the steering back and forth the front end was real noisey, the srtruts were rotating at the top, and that is were the noise seemed to be coming from. so what's up with that? 1985 3" lift.

Squeeking or grinding noise?

It's a clagging and banging and all, it is Zaps old one from about 2 years ago, so i'm pretty sure the lift is in corectly or that hump would be gone by now.

Take cap off top of strut (engine bay, covers retaining nut) feel nut when jiggling the wheel, does it move? if so, top bearings gone.

Ross that make no sense to me. the strut tower in engine compartment have a plate there, part of the lift, I think. But you're saying there is a bearing up there? I don't remember anything up there but mount when I replaced the springs in my wagon. :confused:

Ross that make no sense to me. the strut tower in engine compartment have a plate there, part of the lift, I think. But you're saying there is a bearing up there? I don't remember anything up there but mount when I replaced the springs in my wagon. :confused:

Oh yeah, you wont be able to see the bolt with the lift, sorry. There is a bearing at the top of the strut though, which it turns on when you turn the steering. That may be your problem.

Does that lift put extra stress on those bearings? Ok I got it now there is a bearing on the top of the strut, they are not very old.

No, the lift shouldn't put any extra load on the bearings. These bearings should last a very long time (300,000kms or so at least), so if they are newish, they probably arn't your prob.