Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Electrical Problems

ok, i screwed something up, again.

All of a sudden, my taillights, door ajar light, interior lights dont work, the fuse blows as soon as i put it in. so i jerry rigged a switch and melted the wire. So i gutted the wiring harness and replaced the wire. Now, along with what previously didnt work my cd player, trip computer, and automatic seat belts dont work.

Where are these curcuits tied togather at. I have a chilton but its useless for indepth wiring diagrams. Not even the dealership had a manual or the diagrams of disc. So iam looking for anything, anyone has to offer.

anything happen before these problems? someone tried to wire something or install something? what wiring did you play with or "rewire" and why?

the door ajar and interior light sounds like the switch at the door jamb is fouled up. could be rusted out, disconnected, shorted, bad switch. normally you just pull the rubber cover and there's one screw to remove the switch. they typically rust bad.

by the floorboard on some soobs are some wire connectors that typically get shorted out (a white connector in XT's and XT6's), causing intermittent and random problems...usually with headlights and tail lights in my experience. if you have a manual trans i'd pay particular attention to this, but auto's are fair game as well. manuals seem prone to this problem since snow sticks to shoes and gets on anything you may accidentally nudge down there. then ice melts and gets into the wiring connector. inspect them closely, sometimes it's obvious because your white connector is now brown and brittle to the touch, other times the wires are shorted out in the connector but the connector appears okay.