Ultimate Subaru Message Board

spark plugs for EA82T

What plugs you all run in your boosted EA82's?

My car will ping sometimes in third... it won't in first, second, forth or fifth, but THIRD... at WOT... I'm thinking maybe the plugs in my car are too hot in range?

A friend recommended NGK BKR7E plugs, but his car is an SR20DET, not an EA82, so you know, I want to be sure...

Oh and I live in Miami. Constantly hot and humid, coldest it ever gets year round is like 40, if that makes a difference on plugs.

I drive my car mostly only on weekends since I ride my bike to work, and I don't idle in traffic that much. I hear that cold plugs can foul if you spend a long time idling...

Stock should be NGK BPR6ES-11 with BPR5ES-11 and BPS7ES-11 as alternats (source: '89 FSM). If I remember right, bigger number is colder with NGK so you might try the 7s or maybe 8s.

But I doubt plugs are your problem, first guess would be to much timing for the quality of the fuel. Try a grade higher fuel or a few deg less timming, my RX pings lightly on 87 (I can only hear it at lower speed with the window down), but seems to do well on mid grade (89), timing is stock 20 Deg.

Gary

EDIT: Or add an intercooler :headbang:

Perhaps that is the problem, or maybe my intercooler is getting heatsoaked... my stock XT hood "vents" only cover about 30% of it, and it sits right on top of the turbo... (it's a ford t-bird IC)

BTW I won't dare run on anything less than 93, I've got a VF11 @ 11 psi boost :lol:

Stock should be NGK BPR6ES-11 with BPR5ES-11 and BPS7ES-11 as alternats (source: '89 FSM). If I remember right, bigger number is colder with NGK so you might try the 7s or maybe 8s.

But I doubt plugs are your problem, first guess would be to much timing for the quality of the fuel. Try a grade higher fuel or a few deg less timming, my RX pings lightly on 87 (I can only hear it at lower speed with the window down), but seems to do well on mid grade (89), timing is stock 20 Deg.

Gary

EDIT: Or add an intercooler :headbang: