Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Turn Signal Flasher 86 GL Wagon

Greetings.

I just bought an 86 GL Wagon. The left signal works, as do the hazards, but the right side lamps don't come on or flash. I heard a buzzing in the steering column when I first tried the right signal, but it quit.

Is this vehicle equipped with one of those aluminum "flasher cylinders"? If so, where is it. If not...what do I do. I have a Haynes coming via E-Bay, but I'd like to get it fixed soon.

Thanks!

Is this vehicle equipped with one of those aluminum "flasher cylinders"?

If any of the turn signals are flashing, the problem isn't the flash relay (located in the fuse box usually).

What you're experiencing, I believe, is a standard genetic defect of Subarus. On both my '85s, my '84 and, IIRC, my '87, the same occurs. But my right signal works and it's the left that buzzes and doesn't flash until I kind of a massage it into working by moving the t/s lever up or down a smidgeon.

Maybe someone else can offer a solution. Me, I've just to learn to live with the little quirks amid of the overall greatness of the 'ru.

Thanks Mac.

I jostled it a bit and got it to work. I would like to fix it though. If I get ambitious one of these days, I might tear down the switch and try to tweak the contacts. Beyond that, I suspect it requires replacement. Smells like an expensive dealer part.

wb

Thanks Mac.

I jostled it a bit and got it to work. I would like to fix it though. If I get ambitious one of these days, I might tear down the switch and try to tweak the contacts. Beyond that, I suspect it requires replacement. Smells like an expensive dealer part.

wb

Dealer part?? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! You're on the wrong board. :lol: A function of this board is workarounds to dealer parts.

Fix it (if you do, share the knowledge, another function of the board) or junkyard part ... but since it's a genetic defect, the one you get at the jy may be just as bad.

Or you could go to the dealer and get another genetically defective one that works initially. If your A/C-heater fan switch works on speeds 1 and 2, I'll be surprised. Another genetic defect. Resistor block nichrome wire breaks easily.

I don't even have the nerve to call a dealer for something like that. More than I paid for the rig without doubt. The fan switch works, but the headlight switch is touchy. Same sort of thing...worn contacts I reckon.

I've got a bad boot on the driver's cv but it is not clicking...yet. Do folks on the board ever boot and grease these things, or swap them out as a rule?

Yep, worn CV boots is another Sube fact of life. You'll get different answers on whether to swap boots or just change out the CV. Personal choice and different schools of thought.

BTW, you mentioned a Hayne's manual coming. It's better than nothing (in most cases), but if you plan to do serious repairs, forget Haynes, forget Chilton. A set of factory service manuals will come up on the sales section from time to time, as well as the infamous "How to Keep Your Subaru Alive," which also can be found in most libraries.