Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Unsiezing a rear disc piston

i'd pull the wheel off. see if you can pry the caliper open, swing it open and knock the brake pads out. with the wheel off...some soob calipers have holes in the top of the caliper, you might be able to get something in there to knock the piston back or pry it back enough to swing the caliper open and pull the pads.

then look for a rebuild kit. front rebuild kits are like 10 bucks and include parts for both sides. can't beat that. take it apart, clean it up and install new seals. really simple...piston comes out, install a seal and the rubber boot and put it back together.

I did it on an old honda of mine years ago.

I used a c-clamp to push it back in and just worked it in & out.

Rebuild should be a good idea and easy - I can get a kit from a buddy early this week and ship it up if ya need. Too bad i didn't find any goodies at the jy today:mad:

I'll try lordco and crappy tire, do you think they'll have a bleeder valve there too?

There were three turbo ru's at the wreckers 2 weeks ago and now there is none, they are crushing older cars alot quicker now maybe cause of China and high steel prices.:banghead:

Anyone tried to break loose a stuck brake piston? My left rear disc brake is siezed on and the wreckers around here have cleared out there 80's stock. Thoughts? I'd like to just bolt a "new" caliper on but I have to find one first.

1) Remove the brake pads.

2) Put the caliper back on.

3) Step on the brakes.

The brake pressure will move the piston. I had pistons that were so badly stuck that compressed air in the bleeder hole would not move them. I put them back on the car without brake pads, bled them, and stomped on the brakes.

The pistons popped right out.

--Mike