Ultimate Subaru Message Board

That darn EGR light

When you say "EGR light" I'm assuming a lot:

1. CEL on

2. Trouble code 34 --> Failed EGR solenoid

If you want to double check, to verify a bad EGR solenoid check the coil resistance by disconnecting the connector and ohming the contacts, a good coil reads about 35 ohms.

Besides the tape trick, replacing the solenoid should clear the CEL by itself.

Good post here on this subj, how to find EGR, etc.:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12057&highlight=solenoid+code

Good luck

Yes, you are totally right, it is a mileage-tripped thing, every 60k miles the light goes on for the mechanic to check the fuse or some ****, happened to me when I hit 180k, on my way to the coast darn thing came on and I was like WTF? got home after end of weekend and cost me like $15 to fix it.

~Josh~

Great guys! sorry about no info, 85 brat 4 speed. looks like I have all the info I need to get rid of the light. I did the black tape thing but the new emmisions here in connecticut saw it and will not even do the test on the car with an error light on.....but they take your $20.! Thanks for the quick responses! Subaru's are awesome.....and so is this site!-William