Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Curiousity killed the cat (or wiper motor)

Alright, so my plan to explore my car by taking random things apart probably wasn't all that great. I unscrewed the cap of the wiper motor for kicks, pulled it off less than an inch, but once I saw it was a generator of sorts I pushed it back on and rescrewed. 'Course now I know what it is, and now my wipers blow a fuse every time I hit the switch for a millisecond.

Do I need to buy a new assembly or can I just rearrange the components inside the motor housing? Can someone hook me up with a new motor if all else fails? These things are horribly expensive...:-(

This is how you learn, and sometimes it is the hard way, but it helps you discover how things work. You may have pinched a wire when you pushed the case back together. You really don't have much to lose now, I would go back inside and look things over. This is a motor really but they can generate a voltage also if you crank the shaft and have a magnetic field. Make sure no wires are touching the case ground. It shouldn't be too difficult to fix this. You should be able to get a used one at a salvage yard if you can't get this one going.