Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Are all ea81s 1.8L?

First question is: Are all EA81s 1.8L? I have an 82 Ea81 with the 4 bolt carb. I know first hand that EA71 4 bolt carb intake will not fit EA81 engine.

Second Question: Does any one have a simple wiring diagram they could share that shows what wire goes where for an 82 EA81. Are there any special electronic gizmos I need to know about? (I just have the complete engine, no coil, yet. I am hooking to a 3 rib VW trans and using the VW starter).

Yes, all EA81s are 1.8L... even the turbo ones.

Also, all EA71s are 1.6L, and all EA82s are 1.8L.

You are correct that the EA71 manifolds won't fit EA81s because the EA71 is narrower. On the other hand, it is possible to use an EA82 manifold on a EA81.

As far as a wiring diagram goes, that depends on what car your engine came from. Since you say you have the 4-bolt carb, you must have the Hitachi carburetor. The 2wd models had a computer controling the mixture while the 4wd models did not. The 4wd carb wiring is very simple.

Yes, all EA81s are 1.8L... even the turbo ones.

Also, all EA71s are 1.6L, and all EA82s are 1.8L.

You are correct that the EA71 manifolds won't fit EA81s because the EA71 is narrower. On the other hand, it is possible to use an EA82 manifold on a EA81.

As far as a wiring diagram goes, that depends on what car your engine came from. Since you say you have the 4-bolt carb, you must have the Hitachi carburetor. The 2wd models had a computer controling the mixture while the 4wd models did not. The 4wd carb wiring is very simple.

Thanks for the information. I do have a Hitachi carb, the throttle lever is on the passenger side. However, I will be replacing it with a Holley two stage progressive carp to suite my application better.

Question. I have two wires coming from my distributor; a yellow one and the other is black and white. Best I can tell I have an internal ignition control module. Which wire goes where on the Coil??

yellow to negative on coil, other one goes to posative on the coil. put switched power to the positive side, and the engine will run with your carb on it. thats about all the wiring you will need, other than a starter relay.

and the tach hooks up to the yellow/negative side of the coil.

I know that '80 and '81 models had external ignition control modules, and '83 and later models had internal ones. I'm pretty sure that the '82 models had internal control modules too, but I'm not positive. In any case, the Black wire (usually with white stripe) goes to the Positive (+) coil terminal, and the yellow one goes to the Negative (-) terminal.

-------------

Edit

-------------

Looks like someone beat me to it. :)

I know that '80 and '81 models had external ignition control modules, and '83 and later models had internal ones. I'm pretty sure that the '82 models had internal control modules too, but I'm not positive. In any case, the Black wire (usually with white stripe) goes to the Positive (+) coil terminal, and the yellow one goes to the Negative (-) terminal.

-------------

Edit

-------------

Looks like someone beat me to it. :)

Thanks guys. I have the coil wired now and moving on to the charging circuit. I am putting my subaru engine on a 3 rib VW bus trans. I am using the bus starter. I know that the (subaru '82) alternator wire (the big white one) goes to the battery and the small wire has to go to either the idiot light or have a 16K resistor in line before the thing will charge.

Question: Can I go to the starter relay with my white wire and will it feed through my ignition circuit to recharge the battery, or should I go directly to the battery with the white wire from the alternator?