Ultimate Subaru Message Board

AC removal ???

I would like to remove the AC in my Loyale...I never use it so I dont see why I need to keep carrying around the extra weight or dealing with the power drain when running the defrost in the colder months. Seems like a pretty easy job but when Dave Paul and me looked at it last night we couldnt figure out where to remount the Alt once the compressor is removed since it bolts to it.I understand I will need to probably go to a smaller belt but I just can't seem to find where to put the Alt.Paul said he knows some here have done it before and to run it by you guys.

Thanks in advance

Sounds like a lot of work to rid your car of maybe 15-20 lbs. And there are issues about depressurizing the system...

The AC really does help demisting of the windshield/windows when on defrost. If you don't want the power drain, there are several ways of deactivating the compressor.

Anyways, my $0.02 is that you might keep it and just try deactivating it for awhile first. :)

I removed the A/C from my '88 Gl-10. I was lucky enough to find a non-A/C Loyale in a junkyard and just used its alternator bracket. It's a 2 piece bracket very similar to the one used on EA81 cars.

In my case the A/C had long ago lost its charge, so there was no depressurizing to be done. It really made a number of things easier to work on under the hood once I had all that stuff removed.

If you can find a non-A/C car at a junkyard, you'll want to get the alternator bracket, the rubber firewall plugs, and the accordian style duct that fits in place of the evaporator core. Alot of people just remove the A/C parts that are under the hood, but I found it was well worth removing the evaporator core too. Mine was about 80% clogged with debris and was seriously reducing airflow through the whole HVAC system.

If you can't find a non-A/C car to get parts from, I'd suggest either leaving the compressor in place and just remove everything else. You can even remove the evaporator core without the accordian duct to replace it. All you do is remove the actual evaporator core from the plastic housing it's in, put the housing back together and seal it up with some silicone sealant and maybe some plugs cut from a milk jug for the larger holes. Then you can just put the empty housing back in place.

Another option for the alternator bracket (I did this to my '85 GL-10 before selling it) is to use the large cast iron bracket that some of the EA82 cars with A/C used. This bracket held both the A/C compressor and the alternator, but didn't use either as a structural part of the bracket. This doesn't end up looking as nice as the non-A/C bracket, but it does the job. It also has the drawback of requiring a non-stock sized belt.

• 2 months later...

Here are some pictures of what I did to remove my A/C (while using the original belt):

img_0773.jpg

img_0774.jpg

I removed the upper and lower brackets from the A/C compressor, then installed them on the car like normal, minus the compressor. The upper bracket only had one bolt that mounts to the intake manifold, so to take some stress off of it I cut a pipe to the exact height of the compressor, then placed it between the upper and lower bracket, and ran a bolt through it. It seems to work ok, but I haven't driven the car much since I did it.

Splendid idea with that brace there Dennis. I didnt do anything like that. Certainly helps keep stuff solid I'm sure.

==========

The system will need to be purged. There is a small valve on a compresor line there right by the compressor. Looks just like the valve stem cap on your tires. Screw that off and use a screwdriver to test and see if there is anything left in your system. Mine was completly dead already and I just removed everything with out any problems. Some I've seen were still under high pressure and should be properly discharged.

Also note there is other junk you can remove along with the AC Compressor. Take out that air restriction in front of your radiator called the condenser. Follow the tubes from the condenser over to this aluminum canister; that can go too. Remove all the lines from that canister upto the fire wall.

• 5 years later...

Sorry for reopening a five years old post, but I'd like to remove the whole A/C from my carb 89 GL.... just to install it in my 93 DLX with MPFI. Is it possible? what's in the inside of the car besides the switch for the A/C? What about the "heat exchanger", is there an extra radiator similar to the heater core?. The only problem I see, is I don't have the fun clutch, and I'm thinking to install an electric fan .... What do you think?

:rolleyes:

I just did this my self.. I got all the stuff at Lowes to do the job. I took off the A/C compressor, disassembled the mounts from the unit... then used a piece square stock in place of the compressor body. used longer bolts to pass through the square stock......went to the napa about a dozen times to get the right belt... and I was done. I was a little worried about flex.. but I put a flat washer on the top and bottom of the square stock and tightened it ALOT!!!.. seems to be working well... GOOD LUCK

post-6057-136027643983_thumb.jpg[/ATTACH]

post-6057-136027643977_thumb.jpg