Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Nothing like a sube to make ya cry

OHHHHHHHHH MAN this engine swap is sucking years outta my golden years man, I really truely am annoyed with this little bastard. I can't find this damn short anywhere. it's in the stop/room/ecc (B) section of fuse box, no power to anything useful. all bells lights and such work exp. front lights and front blinkers. but the damn cluster is dead as well as all action to the key. I REALLY NEED HELP.

Ok, help is here. Lets get to work. Do you have a fuse number for the fuse that is blowing?

When you mention cluster, I assume you mean instrument cluster. Do you have an ohmmeter to work with on this and know how to use one?

Yes, I am blowing the dust off it. it is fuse #3 15A Stop Room ECC (B) the starter doesn't respond at all instrument cluster dead, no life in key. hazards work as well as dome lights and door bell. all other fuses look good (not blown) but I'm gonna ohm them out just in case.

My manual for an '88 shows that fuse #3 goes to three places. The brake light switch, the dome light, and the spot lights. The color of the wire from the fuse is green/yellow. You may be able to find the short by checking the resistance of each of those areas compare the readings. The problem should be near the lowest reading. This will take a sensitive meter to do this.

For the dash panel problem check and make sure all the fusible links are ok first. These should be in a box mounted on the coolant reservoir. If they are ok then you need to make sure the ignition switch is getting voltage and switching it on in the run position. From the prints it appears fuse #12 is supplied power from the IGN switch while in the run position.