Ultimate Subaru Message Board

clarion rf-4881 5 pin plug--ipod?

Ive experimented with that pin out cause i wanted to hook it up to a computer, and run MP3's.

I found the left & right channel, but I couldnt find a way to mute the AM/FM stereo while playing through the ports.

I would suggest going to the junkyard and finding a car with the tape deck. Then cut that plug off the cassette deck, and splice the wires. Play around with it until you find something that works :)

-Brian

does anyone know the pin configuration on the back of this thing? it's just the clarion am/fm radio. i assume that the 5 pin plug is for the optional cassette player, i'd love to hook it up to my ipod.

I don't know the pin-outs, but as an alternative they sell an FM transmitter that plugs into an 1/8" phono plug at Radio Shack called an IRock that will let you play your iPod over an AM/FM stereo for about $29 (USD) bucks. I used one of these with an MP3 player for over a year and it eats bateries, but does the job. I just installed a $119 Jensen MP5720 stereo that has an auxilary input that works great with the MP3 player. But the nice thing is this will also play MP3 encoded CDs, so you can copy over 100 songs onto CD-RW media and play out of the CD player.

If you go poking around on your Clarion you might try to put a DMM or a circuit test light on the pins to make sure you don't accidentally send 12v into your iPod.

- James B