Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA71 to EA81- which parts are compatible?

I am installing a ea81 with a 4 spd d/r (from an ea81 hatch) into a 1980 ea71 wagon... I need to know which parts are compatible.... I was hoping to use the disty, and the coil and ignition stuff... (thats on the car)

I am planning to put a weber on it, and eliminate all the emissions crap!

I also need to get a ea81 clutch cable (the one on the car is for the goofy ea71 center-mount-starter tranny)

and also a good ea81 flywheel, preferably the large diameter one so I can get the beefy clutch!

I was also wondering what othe parts are compatible, cause if things like the H2O pump and mounts and stuff are compatible, I was going to save them for spare parts!

thanks!

Austin

80 GL1600 wagon

94 impreza L (F/S)

86 XT turbo (F/S)

91 Legacy LS wagon (moms)

86 Brat (sold, delivery soon)

88 GL wagon (needs headgaskets)

and I still need to get a lift kit! (is PK on the rubicon?)

i have found that the water pump, intake manifold, and engine bellhousing all interchange. same thing goes for the distributor, and any mounting brackets, ancilliaries, and such. even an ea82 water pump will fit, but the pulley will be offset from the rest

but the overall external demensions are the same. hope that answers ya!

what year is the Dual range from? if it's an 81-82 dual range, you are stuck with the 8" clutch (200mm) unless you do some fabbing to mount the larger release bearing onto the '82 bearing holder...

the 81-82 D/R had a smaller release bearing (same as 2wd) and it does not properly hit the 9" pressure plate becasue the hole in the center of the PP fingers is larger....

as long as you keep the whole ignition system together should be no problem. (if you happen to have one points type disty, and one electronic....)

the top bypass outlet on the ea71 waterpump is larger diameter (OD) than the ea81

not sure if it's the water pump or oil pump. but there were 2 different ea71 styles, because starting in '80 some of the ea71's had a fatter engine case that was the same as the ea81.... changed water jackets or something... not totally sure....

so I pulled the tranny out of the car (the ea71 4spd s/r) and some of the things are different... so I will need a shift lever set (the 4wd selector lever, the half thats under the car, and maybe the shift lever too... (with a rubber boot, cause I cant seem to get this one off the lever!)

but anyways...

the ea71 axles work on the ea81 tranny right? (its an ea81 body)

and I am not sure what yearr the tranny is out of... I think its newer than 84... (out of a hatchback 4wd)

axles are the same length for thier respective body styles. so even though it had an ea71 engine, it was an "ea81" body, so it'd have the "ea81" axles. and will work fine....

when you get to the ea82 axles is where you end up with different spline counts for turbo or non.... plus they are longer still than the ea81 axles...