Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Worst Wipers and Defroster EVER!- 91 Loyale

Well the snow storm has arrived in Syracuse and I was out driving around and I have 2 problems. 1-The wipers suck!! I replaced the wipers with winter blades when I bought it about 2 months ago. I also lubed the "hinged" part of the arm to see if that would help at all. No matter what I do it doesnt make a difference- they are terrible. Perhaps I need the whole arm? Could the sprins be weak? Ive tried bending them a little but it hasnt helped.

2-The defroster is TERRIBLE!!. I try to let it warm up for at least 5- 10 minutes but it doesnt put a dent in it. When i get in theonly thing defrosted is the first 2-3inches above the vents on the windsheild. The side windows take at least 20 minutes and the rear(wagon) windows seem like they have an everlasting glaze on them. If i stop after the first 10 minutes of driving and come back in 5-10 minutes the whole thing is frosted over again and I have to start the process all over. Ive started to drive with a second set of keys so I can leave it running constantly. This is the only way it becomes and stays defrosted after about 30 minutes. Ive tried changing the vent setting but it didnt seem to help. Im under the impression Im supposed to keep them on vent so as not to recirculate air but Im not sure. It is always set on defroster and full warm though. Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!!!

what's wrong with the wipers? are they going too slow, are they not making good contact with the window?

For the defroster, what fan speed do you have it on? Do all the fan settings work?

for the rear defroster, does it work at all? A (semi) common problem with it is the ground wire coming undone in the back. A simple continuity check from the right side of the window to ground will test this. If it's not connected to ground, pull the cover off the rear and look for a black wire just hanging not connected to anything. Find a ground for it and it should work again.