Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help - My Head !!!

I'm doing the HG on my EA82T right now (passenger side only) with the motor in the car, and of course one of the intake manifold bolts snapped on me (the on furthest towards the block). She's really seized, and I can't get it with an easy-out. I wanna get the head off so I can remove it that way, but I can't get the friggin head off:banghead: . I've got all of the bolts out, the banjo connections off, the exhaust, and everything disconnected, but she won't budge. I realize she won't pull straight out with the manifold bolt still in there, but shouldn't I be able to drop it down? Shaking, jerking, even hammering (thru a piece of wood) and she won't move.

Are there any alignment studs like between the head and the cam tower? I don't remember there being any from the last time I did it on my N/A, but that would explain why if there were. Should I just keep hammering?:-\

Getin a little frustrated here:banghead: Help much appreciated...

I'm doing the HG on my EA82T right now (passenger side only) with the motor in the car, and of course one of the intake manifold bolts snapped on me (the on furthest towards the block). She's really seized, and I can't get it with an easy-out. I wanna get the head off so I can remove it that way, but I can't get the friggin head off:banghead: . I've got all of the bolts out, the banjo connections off, the exhaust, and everything disconnected, but she won't budge. I realize she won't pull straight out with the manifold bolt still in there, but shouldn't I be able to drop it down? Shaking, jerking, even hammering (thru a piece of wood) and she won't move.

Are there any alignment studs like between the head and the cam tower? I don't remember there being any from the last time I did it on my N/A, but that would explain why if there were. Should I just keep hammering?:-\

Getin a little frustrated here:banghead: Help much appreciated...

Just reread 4th time, there is little plugs, dowels? I don't know what they're called but no the head won't drop down so stop hammering! I think you have to tear the intake off, sorry.

Loosen or remove the intake bolts on the other side of the engine so you can angle up the end with the busted bolt. That might give you enough room to maneuver the head off. Wiggle and pull, don't hammer, aluminum is soft and you could warp something. If the bolts won't turn, try heating the cylinder head where the bolt goes in with a hand held propane torch and then let it cool for a moment. The expansion and contraction of heating and cooling can help break loose a “frozen” bolt.

Also, if you're replacing one bad HG, you might as well do them both if both the gaskets are old; otherwise you'll very likely be doing the same operation again on the other side before too long. Be done with them both in one shot. And be sure to check the heads for warps; just don't slap on a new gasket or you could wind up back at square one. I am doing my heads as I speak, and one head was warped! (88 GL Wagon SPFI)

Good luck,

-Mike

I suspected as much. Thanx guys. Know what I'll be doing tomorrow...

Don't worry - I know better than to pound on the heads with a hammer. I was just tapping them with a piece of wood to see if there was any movement:grin:

I was going to remove the intake manifold before, but the bolts on the other side are seized too, and I know I'm gunna break one of them.

Can't get heat onto the bolt with the head still on cause there's too much other stuff (vac hoses etc) around that will get fried.

Guess I just have to see how many bolts I break and get them all out when the manifold is off.

You could try a short quick blow with a hammer on the head of the bolt, like pounding a nail. That can sometimes break a bolt loose.

Also, if you're replacing one bad HG, you might as well do them both if both the gaskets are old; otherwise you'll very likely be doing the same operation again on the other side before too long. Be done with them both in one shot. And be sure to check the heads for warps; just don't slap on a new gasket or you could wind up back at square one. I am doing my heads as I speak, and one head was warped! (88 GL Wagon SPFI)

Good luck,

-Mike

Don't worry - I know better than to pound on the heads with a hammer. I was just tapping them with a piece of wood to see if there was any movement:grin:

I was going to remove the intake manifold before, but the bolts on the other side are seized too, and I know I'm gunna break one of them.

Can't get heat onto the bolt with the head still on cause there's too much other stuff (vac hoses etc) around that will get fried.

Guess I just have to see how many bolts I break and get them all out when the manifold is off.

I could come by break something else for ya... then the intake would be the least of your problems. :grin:

Thanks Martin - I think I take enough s*#t from your dad to last me thru the weekend:lol: Feel free to stop by if you wanna have a look 3315 Glasgow Ave.

Thanks Martin - I think I take enough s*#t from your dad to last me thru the weekend:lol: Feel free to stop by if you wanna have a look 3315 Glasgow Ave.

Yeah, I might swing by tomorrow to see your subes. I'm sure you will be out wrenching, hehe.

ok its well worth the money, especially for working on Subaru's. I have had a few intake bolts snap on me on EA82's, EA71's, etc. Anyways, go to like CarQuest and get a helicoil kit to fit that thread. I'll run you about 40 bucks but there's enough helicoils in there to do quite a few bolts and since there's a lot of other bolts that are the same as the intake bolts (like the timing belt tensioners;)), its well worth the money like I said. I've done probably about 6 or 7 with the same package that I bought about a year ago:D

Glad you're getting soem amusement outta my HEAD Vanislru:rolleyes: .

Just charging up on caffeine before i have another go at it today...

I managed to get all the other manifodl bolts out last night without breaking any, and the frickin manifold won't budge - not avan a hair. Not sure what's up there. Might be hammertime soon:brow:

Oh yeah - what about those exhaust brackets???...

Glad you're getting soem amusement outta my HEAD Vanislru:rolleyes: .

Just charging up on caffeine before i have another go at it today...

I managed to get all the other manifodl bolts out last night without breaking any, and the frickin manifold won't budge - not avan a hair. Not sure what's up there. Might be hammertime soon:brow:

Oh yeah - what about those exhaust brackets???...

I will send down the pipes on the bus Mon. Where I cut looks like a connector and 2 clamps from crappy tire will do. When I welded the flange for the DP connection I messed up on the angle a bit by a degree or 2, so it puts a bit of tension on the UP, not much tho. After a year of nasty abuse I did break an UP just below the turbo where they usually break so.... if you plan on 4x4 the piss out of it then might want to fix that but if you are not hammering it everyday all winter then no need to worry [i do really mean hammering the snot out of it]. So yeah two clamps and a connector and your good to go, fits right in there and sounds burly performs way better than stock too. If you can send me all of your mounts cut as close to the pipe as possible including the one for the end of the trannie ASAP then it's yours + the flat rate too:drunk:.

Any luck with the heads?

SWEETNESS:banana: I'll try and get the mounts cut off today and send them right away with the wobblypop xtra.

Got a hole drilled in the broken bolt, heated her up and stripped my easy-out trying to get it out - she's really in there. Off to get another (and hopefully stronger) one.