Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cherry 1980 4X4

Acoupla of years ago I gave a gal my phone # if she ever wanted to sell nice little DL wagon. Well..Ive have had it for a few month's now and it's not quite what I expected. Mech its just a 1600. I use it for Home depot and other shopping--don't run around much anymore.

But I'm not done running the fire trails in the mountains and desert washes. My friend from Ore came down and we went back in where the Atv's go. The little car did herself proud. Let the mind wander and visions of dual range tranny, EA81, 14's,etc.

Have I got this right (from archives)?

a d/r tranny 5sp is bigger tunnel-wise and shorter requiring new d/shaft and shifter stuff.

Is there a d/r 4sp available that will fit with existing d/shaft?

EA81 will bolt in with top starter but clutch disk splines must match old trans. Motor mounts?

BTW what is LSD?

Can this nice rust-free car be modified for a little crawling without sacrificing street use? And historic value. There's a whole lot more to this than meets the eye! Maybe I need two Subaroos--but they've just about outlawed having a fleet of vehicles what with ins, smog, license plate return, zoning ordinances, etc.

This all boils down to torque, tires, gear ratios all in a vintage car--and you guys have all been there. any advice seriously considered.

Welcome to the Board.

Your in the right place!

"Rooinator", (Jason) had a 1600 with big tires and a lift. He did ok in that configuration--although his year has the D/R tranny--and that was probably the only thing that saved him...:rolleyes:

http://www.angelfire.com/80s/rooinater/index.html

Good luck,

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester

Whoops!

LSD is a Limited Slip Differential. They are geared at 3.7. The D/R trannys are geared at a 3.9 so you have to change the gears to make the 3.9 LSD for the D/R tranny.

Some say the LSD is good some say the welded diff is the way to go:confused:

The diff you choose would probably depend on your intended use.

Forgot to put that in the last post :banghead:

Thanks for the reply Sweet 82.

I guess there's no simple solution (for trying to have it all). The 1600 has surprising torque--better than VWs that I remember. But then my memory's shot. Good coil and wires helped.

I'll try to pick up a d/r 4sp for simplicities sake and let it go at that.

Salt Lake is like being neighbors. would be interested in what kind of off -road

you're doing. wrw