Ultimate Subaru Message Board

88 GL MPFI turbo and non-turbo

the computers are the same afaik... afaik?

How about the intake manifold and the injectors, are they the same between the turbo and n/t?

the block(namely pistons) is what gives the turbo the lower compression.

you could stick a na motor in there and run it without the turbo... good luck finding a y pipe.

the computers are the same afaik.

If the non-turbo is SPFI, then EVERYTHING is different (c'ept block, crank, and piston rods)

If the non-turbo is MPFI, then should be *similar* - I know in 85/86 models, the computer knew whether or not it was a turbo by grounding/leaving open a pin on the ECU.

Cool, I have a 85 mpfi eng (the block is almost like new) that i'm dropping into an 88 (former spfi) GL Wgn AND I just came across an 88 mpfi turbo wgn and I figured the 88 GL manifolds, wire harness, and computer would work better in my 88. If that makes any sense... there are some wiring differences between 85 and 88.

If the non-turbo is SPFI, then EVERYTHING is different (c'ept block, crank, and piston rods)

If the non-turbo is MPFI, then should be *similar* - I know in 85/86 models, the computer knew whether or not it was a turbo by grounding/leaving open a pin on the ECU.