Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rocker box/cam box sealer...is this ok?

I used "Ultra Black", which is what Napa told me to use, for the sealer between the heads and the rocker boxes or cam covers (whatever you want to call them). Well, someone mentioned that the silicone based sealer would deteriote or be affected by the oil to the point that it wouldnt be a good choice to use the Ultra Black as the sealer. I called Napa this morning and they told me that even though its silicone based, its oil and gas resistant and should be fine.

I really do not want to take the cover off again but if I have to, now is the time as the motor is still out.

In addition I used the orange colored gasket maker on the oil pan gasket.....again silicone based.

Whats you advice/experience/input/suggestions here. I want to get this put back in today so I can start driving it tomorrow......it sucks not driving the soob. ;)

Thanks

Tough to say. Ultra Black IS fuel / oil resistant. The word that worries me there is 'resistant'. A machine shop did my cam cases last time; can't comment on what they used.

How about some of that stuff WJM was talking about.... that fancy Fuji bond ?

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=29931

There are some other products to consider in that thread.

Good luck

Tough to say. Ultra Black IS fuel / oil resistant. The word that worries me there is 'resistant'. A machine shop did my cam cases last time; can't comment on what they used.

How about some of that stuff WJM was talking about.... that fancy Fuji bond ?

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=29931

There are some other products to consider in that thread.

Good luck

Thanks Morgan....thats what I needed....looks like I'll be testing Ultra Black and see if it holds up.

Permatex Anaerobic Sealant is what I've been told to use by an old mechanic who is now an auto professor at my school. I have used it with tremendous success on case halves and cam towers. Ultra black is basically RTV, right? There are two problems with that type of sealant. First, it doesn't seem to hold up as well over time. Second, there are inevitably going to be little blobs of extra sealant around the mating surface. These can also end up inside the oil passages. These blobs can break off and clog things up, as I've been told by another long-time mechanic. The anaerobic sealant sets up only on the mating surface itself, and any extra stuff remains oil soluble and washes away.

Permatex Anaerobic Sealant is what I've been told to use by an old mechanic who is now an auto professor at my school. I have used it with tremendous success on case halves and cam towers. Ultra black is basically RTV, right? There are two problems with that type of sealant. First, it doesn't seem to hold up as well over time. Second, there are inevitably going to be little blobs of extra sealant around the mating surface. These can also end up inside the oil passages. These blobs can break off and clog things up, as I've been told by another long-time mechanic. The anaerobic sealant sets up only on the mating surface itself, and any extra stuff remains oil soluble and washes away.

Sounds like good snot! Is this what dudes commonly refer to as 'aviation cement' ? I'll ask for Permatext Anaerobic Sealant by name in the future! :D

Sounds like good snot! Is this what dudes commonly refer to as 'aviation cement' ? I'll ask for Permatext Anaerobic Sealant by name in the future! :D

I don't know any slang names for it. Permatex does make a product called "Aviation Form-A-Gasket" that works really well for coating cork and paper gaskets. It seals well and is really easy to clean off the next time.