Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fuel Problems?

My 86 EA81 wagon has been running poorly, very poorly. About the end of the summer is when it got really bad, and I ended up parking it and taking my 92 wagon to college instead. First off, the car stutters sometimes when i let out the clutch and give it gas, it just hesitates for a second and then accelerates. I assume this is bad fuel filters or fouled plugs or something. It's done that for a while and never really compromised the performance as far as I could tell. Then just before I left for school, the car would kind of go into fits of shuddering. The engine just runs really rough and kind of feels like it's about to die or something. Nothing traumatic happened to bring this on, it just sort of developed gradually. I'm making the assumption its something to do with my fuel system, its carbureted, so I see potential for the problem being there. I don't get many opportunies to work on it, only if I happen to go home for the weekend. Anyone know whats going on/had this happen to them as well. I can't let this baby die, parents bought it off the lot brand spankin new in 86' and i've had her for about 3 years and it has too much sentimental value. Help would be appriciated.