Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tranny Q

pm128

So my 3at, give up the ghost.

What are my options, how much are used 3at's in the seattle area. Also where can you find them?..

I have an 85 gl-10 t

thanks

Cant help with advice bout 3at's in your area, but offer my opinion about 3at's in general. They don't last. They seem to be a major weak link in these rigs. I am replacing one with a 5sp manual dual range even as we speak in 85 GL. You don't say what year or rig you have. Bet you get more repsonses if you post more information.

Again, I don't like the Autos in the older soobs. Would never trust a used one. Just my opinion.

Pyro

Cant help with advice bout 3at's in your area, but offer my opinion about 3at's in general. They don't last. They seem to be a major weak link in these rigs. I am replacing one with a 5sp manual dual range even as we speak in 85 GL. You don't say what year or rig you have. Bet you get more repsonses if you post more information.

Again, I don't like the Autos in the older soobs. Would never trust a used one. Just my opinion.

Pyro

sorry, its a 1985 gl-10 turbo..

yea I'm not a big fan of the 3at..

how hard is it for a 5sp conversion?

since your car was automatic your axles will be correct for a dual range 4wd tranny

i would agree to go with the mt conversion, i would suggest a dual range but any non turbo mt will work.

if you use turbo trannies you will need turbo axles in the front

i take it your ride is 4wd, so you will have to swap out the driveshaft and the rear diff to match a 5spd non turbo tranny. if you select a turbo tranny and the axles, you can keep the rear diff and change out the driveshaft only

your car has a 3.7 final gear. all 85-86 3at has a 3.7 gear, as well as ALL turbo 3at.

later 87 and up non turbo 3at has a 3.9 rear. the non turbo tranny also has a 3.9 gear. turbo manuals have a 3.7 gear. if you look on the back of the diff a tag will be there displaying the gear ratio

now, single range pushbutton trannies from turbo and non have a vacuum actuation, so all of that will need swapped, solenoids and such. BUT the dual range tranny has a direct linkage to the 4wd with a lever

so to sum it up, if you go with manual tranny here is what you need

tranny

flywheel/clutch setup, flywheel bolts to crank

tranny crossmember. the at is located different, you remove 2 body bolts from the car and use the longer bolts with the MT mount in their place, so keep the bolts wit the crossmember

driveshaft. the mt is shorter thus you need to swap the driveshaft. its 2 pieces, but the rear half is the same with at and mt

diff. you need one with the same gear as the tranny

pedal assembly. get the pedal assembly with the clutch cable still attached

put it together and drive!

So my 3at, give up the ghost.

What are my options, how much are used 3at's in the seattle area. Also where can you find them?..

I have an 85 gl-10 t

thanks

Your 3AT may just need some maintenace/attention; are you sure it is dead?

Several PAP JY in the area (to be reduced by one after this weekend), but kind of a crapshoot with a used one.

Sevearl used JDM importers in the area... 2 years ago the turbo 3AT was going for about $400.

sorry, its a 1985 gl-10 turbo..

yea I'm not a big fan of the 3at..

how hard is it for a 5sp conversion?

Um, you mean a 1986 GL-10 turbo or a GL turbo - there was no GL-10 turbo for 1985 - all turbos has GL-10 trim, save the nameplates.

1986 model year was the debut of the GL-10 Turbo

If you are swapping trannies and you want to stick with an auto, go with a 4-speed. Probably more reliable, and much better for highway cruising. Less work than a switch to a manual, but you will have to change your CV axles.

A manual tranny is still your best choice, but autos are more convienent.

You can't swap a 4 speed for a 3 speed. The 3 speed is a mechanical/hydraulic setup, and the 4 speed is electronically controlled. Installing a 4 speed involves splicing dozens upon dozens of wires, and even then, who knows if it'll work right? I believe a 4 speed won't even fit a pre-87.5 model car. The 4 speed transmissions are quite thick, and I know that for the 87.5 model year, Subaru widened the tunnel. The crossmember for the trans in my 92 Loyale was a good 4 inches or more wider than the crossmember attached to the 86 transmission that I put in it.

The simple solution: swap in another 3 speed auto.

The reliable, more power, better gas mileage solution: move up to a 5-speed. Doable in a weekend with dedicated help (thanks Miles Fox!)

Are you sure the trans is even bad? What is it doing (or not doing)? Have you inspected the modulator and the governor? (both located on the passenger side of the trans, the governor is behind a cylindrical metal cover with 2 bolts holding it on, slide the governor itself out to get a good look at the gear on it and the operation of the springs)

sorry - I had a subaru guy tell me they were swapable - but he considers an EJ conversion easy -

I did know the difference between control systems, but I did not realize it was that complex.

It is still possible - anything is possible with a soob - just a lot of work.

yeah, Do a swap from 3at to 5speed. your engine's power would be used more efficiently. the time it takes depends on your skills. For parts...the easiest would be to get a donor parts car. Second easiest...find someone who wants to get rid of a car and is cool enough to pull all the parts for you (Thanks XSNRG A.K.A. MARK:drunk:). And third...junkyards..but every single person I dealt with in a junkyard has been an A-HOLE.

[HTi]Johnson

P.S. DON"T BE afraid to ask questions...they'll answer...i mean..they still answer my questions...they're very tolerant.:lol: