Ultimate Subaru Message Board

4WD not working, '92 loyale

Hello to all, this is my first post and I can't seem to find a search function (yet). I can't seem to get my 4WD working anymore, it did but suddenly when I press the button in nuetral the light doesnt come on nor does it engage although it did work before. There's 150k miles on it but it runs good except for a new EGR celenoid supposedly it needs. Any idea why this would just go out? Is it a simple fuse or a major problem, where should I take it in to to get it fixed, estimated cost? Thanks, seafoam rocks too...

welcome to the board

Do your heater controls work? (can you select Bilev, defrost, etc?)

It sounds like the vacuum line under the hood that allows you to switch into 4x4 got disconnected.

Under the hood, on the left side is a small container with 2 vacuum lines going to it. One goes to the intake manifold, and is probably disconnected. Just find its mate, and reconnect it.

The other runs along the firewall to the other side by the wiper motor.

I'd check these lines for leaks or breaks.

If that doesn't fix it we'll continue troubleshooting.

90% sure you got a vacumn leak somewhere. Check the back of the drivers side strut tower. Between that and the hood hinges, there is two selinoids. make sure they are all plugged in. If its not leaking there, check the line going to the heater controls (passenger side strut tower)

If all those are fine, check the vacumn line going to the drivers side of the tranny. There will be a diaphram thats like 4 or 5 inches in diamter. That is what runs the 4wd..

Also did you try hittin the 4wd button with the engine rev'd to like 2500 rpms? if it turns on with it rev'd up, that would confirm that it was a small vacumn leak (like a crack in a vac line)

Hope this helps