Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New member question - lowering ratios

subaduba

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum, but I am a regular on the Ausubaru.com.au site in Australia.

I have noticed that you have many more subie off-road junkies on this site, so a question for ya.

I have a '94 L wagon that I am wanting to lower the gearing on in lo range. I am thinking of a 4.11 set up, but don't know what models have these and compatibility. Even a 3.9 set up would be better than stock.

I believe that some of you guys have gone the dual transfer case route. I don't know anyone in Oz who has done that, but sound awesome for hill-climbing and crawling!

Any tips?

not sure on what you guys have in oz, but a 5spd dual range in a pre '89 non-turbo subaru up here has a 3.9 ratio. There are no 4.11 ratio DR transmissions here, and nobody so far on this board has fooled enough with the trannys to mix and match parts.

Is this a leone (the boxy one) or the legacy (ej22 engine, more modern styling)? We don't even have dual ranges up here for the newer cars.

The t-case mod is awesome for an off-road rig, but we don't have as strict of regulations for vehicle modifications as you. You need 6" or more of lift, which would make it illegal on the road in Aus. Thats probably why you havent seen anyone in oz build one.

If you want to make an off-road only rig, theres an faq I started with info on the t-case modification:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=24388

• Like 1

I believe that early Legacy/Imprezzas had 4.11 trans, at least in Australia. But if I go the 3.9 how much difference will it make to climbing ability? I'm going to do the CIG Locker (you call it Lincoln Locker) thing, but I thought I might as well do the transmission changeover as well while I'm at it.

You're right about the regulations for mods here. I'm in South Australia which is a bit more rural than the eastern states, so we can get away with a bit more than them, but a 2" lift is about all that is street legal here. Even some fairly tame engine transplants are illegal here. I was going to fit a blower to my EA82 n/a motor, but it is illegal, so I will probably just go twin carby with dual port heads, but that's after I have the trans sorted out.

Divorced transfercase is the best, proven, way so far to get a seriouse low range gear reduction. A lot of the "big boys" run dual transfercases also. Untill someone whips up something better I'd say go for the transfercase mod. However with the 2" legal limit on your lift kit.... good luck :(