Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Wierd Power Steering Problem

Hi I'm new and have an odd problem that I don't know where to start with. My pwr steering pump growls like it's starving for fluid whenever I brake hard or whenever i am going down a steep incline. If I park on an incline it will whine. I checked the fluid level and it looks perfectly fine.

I had an wreck involving the front end of the car not to long after I got it:mad: , and had to replace the radiator. I'm wondering if the pwr steering pump might be damaged, but the problem seems to be with the fluid whenever it gets sloshed to the front of the car.

I downloaded the EA82 FSM's from another post I saw and skimmed through them, but I didn't see anything describing my problem. Would I need to bleed the system?

Has anyone had a problem like this?

Thanks - Jeremy:)

Jeremy,

If the pump were damaged in the crash, you would see

signs of this by examining the pulley.

If it spins true I would say it was untouched.

Please check that none of the lines connected to the pump

were involved (evidenced by crushing)

As a restriction in one could cause problems

Finally I would add some "Lucas Power Steering Conditioner"

Available at all major parts houses.

Hope this helps your dilemma

and welcome to the board

Skip,

The crash wasn't that bad but it cracked the radiator neck of the plastic radiator. I had to pull the Accessory idler pull off because it siezed up and after I did so, I noticed the bracket part of it was bent a little. I guess it may have been hit by the radiator and damaged the bearings. After noticing that, I looked at the power steering pump and I don't see anything visibly wrong. The shaft seems to spin just fine and none of the lines seem harmed. the pulley for the pump is the part that sticks out the farthest.

I'll try some of the treatment you recommend.

Thanks for your help,

Jeremy