Ultimate Subaru Message Board

96 legacy outback hard starting

Hi all,

I'm new here and hoping for a little help. I have a 96 outback legacy that started acting up about a month ago. The problem started with the car just cranking and cranking till it would finally fire. Upon firing it ran like a charm(like most sube's do). At time"s it fire up right up,other times,crank..crank..crank. As of right now it will not start at all,just crank...crank..crank. I sprayed some starting fluid in it as a last resort and nothing. The check engine light is on,but,it's been on for about a year so I don't believe this to be the current problem. I was just wondering if anyone here has had a similar problem and how they fixed it. This is the 2.5 engine. By the way this is my second 96 outback, the first one had 300,000 mile before I retired it,wish I had it back !!!!

Find out what that CEL code is. It probably has something to do with what's happening. And there might be more than one fault code stored in the ECM. Sometimes the CEL gives advance warning of trouble to come. Never take it lightly...

Find out what that CEL code is. It probably has something to do with what's happening. And there might be more than one fault code stored in the ECM. Sometimes the CEL gives advance warning of trouble to come. Never take it lightly...

Hi Frag,

Never took the check engine lightly,my mechanic told me what the code was for but I forget what it was. I do remember him saying it wouldn't effect the running of the automobile but I will take your advice and get it rechecked if I can get it started...lol. After spraying the starting fluid and the car not starting or even wanting to fire I am real confused now. I was leaning towards it being a fuel problem but now.....thanks Frag

Do you have spark?? If not it may be a crank sensor or cam sensor . The best way is to read the codes first and it maybe one of those two . The next thing it may be is a coolant temp sensor going open . but ussually you can start the car by holding the throttle to the floor and crank to put it into a clear flood mode

SEA#3