Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New and need help

Hello all,

I've run into a problem trying to seperate the engine from the auto transaxle in my daughters '86 1800 GL SW. Everything seems to be detached that is supposed to be. 4 torque converter bolts, 2 upper eng/trans bolts, 2 lower eng/trans nuts, stab bar, all ancilleries. I can raise the engine off the mounts. There is even a gap wide enough to place a thin screwdriver between the motor and tranny when I raise them up from the mounts. I does seem to close about the pins. But no matter how I pull I can't seem to get seperation. Is the aluminum engine just stuck on the lower steel studs? Or is there a hidden bolt that I've neglected? If stuck what is the best way to unstick it without damage? I've tried WD-40 on the studs. Is it possible to remove the studs? I really need to get this done so I can get on with my life. I also really don't want to have to pull the engine and tranny as a unit. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Hayne

place a jack under the front of the tranny and raise it up till the engine mounts come out of their holes. that way the weight of the tranny wont bind up on the bottom engine studs. there are a dowel pin on each side of the bellhousing, if you use a screwdriver and tap it in from the sides to separate like wedge action.

sometimes a motor that has never been separated from the tranny can be difficult to separate. other than that, you have everything undone. make sure the torque converter stays with the tranny, as sometimes it will stick to the motor in the pilot hole

there is plenty of room to jack up the tranny, take ut ip till it hits against the tunnel if you wish

also, jack the tranny up to install the motor as well. the dowels should come off with the motor, if one sticks to the tranny you can drive it out with a drift and install it to the motor before re-installation. use anti seize on the dowels also

place a jack under the front of the tranny and raise it up till the engine mounts come out of their holes. that way the weight of the tranny wont bind up on the bottom engine studs. there are a dowel pin on each side of the bellhousing, if you use a screwdriver and tap it in from the sides to separate like wedge action.

sometimes a motor that has never been separated from the tranny can be difficult to separate. other than that, you have everything undone. make sure the torque converter stays with the tranny, as sometimes it will stick to the motor in the pilot hole

there is plenty of room to jack up the tranny, take ut ip till it hits against the tunnel if you wish

also, jack the tranny up to install the motor as well. the dowels should come off with the motor, if one sticks to the tranny you can drive it out with a drift and install it to the motor before re-installation. use anti seize on the dowels also

Thanks Miles. I'd read your engine pull sequence but I just wanted to make sure. I just didn't want to damage the castings. They sounded a little fragile. I'll take the tranny all the way up and that should lessen the give from it. Hope it works. I'm tired of fooling with it. This is only the second "Soobie" engine I've pulled. The first one was a 1600 back in the '80's. Don't recall it being such a pain.

Thanks again,

Hayne

Hello Miles

Thank you very much for your assistance. Your advice gave me the confidence to wedge the two apart. There is just something about sticking screwdrivers between two irreplacable parts and tapping on them with a mallet that fills me with anxiety.

I'll keep this site on my favorites and hopefully one day I may be able to return the favor for someone.icon14.gif