Ultimate Subaru Message Board

clutch sorces need for early subarus

Look in the yellow pages for a clutch rebuilder. I just talked to Alaska Clutch Rebuilders up here, and I think I found the hookup. I bet other similar places could do the same. They said they can build be a clutch with kevlar facing that will hold about like a regular clutch but will not be destroyed by aggressive use and will last a lot longer. That's going in my offroader/daily driver next time i need a clutch. They've also got a "half and half" clutch that I'm going to put in my RX. The flywheel side has organic facing on it like a regular clutch, and the pressure plate side has a ceramic facing on it that will grip like a mofo. This is especially cool because it will hook up almost like a pure ceramic clutch, but it will give a little so it's not harsh, and it won't chew up the flywheel like ceramic will.

The kevlar disk adds about $100 to the price of the unit. I didn't get a chance to ask about the half and half ceramic design.