Ultimate Subaru Message Board

electrical/light gremlin..UPDATE and thanx to sweet82!!

well, finally found the time(no work, sent home early :( )....to check this brake light problem, and yep, found on the right brake light bulb that the big element only was coming on with the lights on..also found out that there is an aftermarket bulb holder with wiring there...hmm, switch wires maybe? swapped red with green and voila!! everything be fine..thanx again to all that posted :D

heres the deal..right rear tailight brake light is brighter with the lights on then the left one...when you press the brake, the left ones gets brighter like it should and the right one stays the same...all lights in the rear are on, nothing is burned out including the 3rd stoplight...i thought one light would get brighter if another one was burned out but not this time...

thoughts??

I would remove the left tailight and clean the contacts of the socket and the bulb. If that doesn't help then I would swap the two sides to see if there may be a problem with the bulb filament. If the right side does the same thing then there is either a problem with the power to the running light or the ground side of the socket.

I'd take a peak at the element and see which element comes on. The thicker element should not be on until the brake is applied. Is the thinner element comming on at all? or is it the thicker element on for both brake and park?

Check your installation then check power to the park lights?

• 3 weeks later...