Ultimate Subaru Message Board

engine swap

I have a 92 Loyale that has a ton of miles on it -- still runs ok but is getting really tired (1.8 spfi)

I also have 2 90 Legacys with 2.2 engines in them. Legacys are rusted beyond hope so am thinking about pulling one of the 2.2's and dropping in the Loyale

Legacys are both mpfi engines both run really good both about 150k miles on them.

would this be a plug and play swap? Legacys are auto trans, and Loyale is 5 spd man. what about flywheels etc?

thanks !

The EJ22 would need to bring its engine control computer and all of its spaghetti with it. It may well need a more powerful fuel pump than the 1.8L SPFI. Whether the 1.8's AT will mate to the EJ22, or the EJ22 will make too much power for your driveline, or the EJ22 will fit between the strut towers, or the EJ22's crossmember will bolt in place, or where you'll keep your spare tire, I can not say.

I seriously doubt it will be simple.

Yes, you can put the 2.2L engine in the loyale. You will need to make an adapter to mate the transmission to the engine out of 12mm stock, modify the engine mounts, put in a larger fuel pump, there's one for a ford truck that does the job, use the flywheel and clutch off of the 1.8L engine on the 2.2L. The flywheel will have to be slightly redrilled to bolt onto the 2.2L. You will need to set up the computer and harness out of the legacy to run the 2.2L. Its difficult, but doable. The engine designation for the Loyale motor is the EA82 and the Legacy's is EJ22. Check out http://www.surrealmirage.com/subaru/subaru.html for information on wiring the ECU for the 2.2L, it will need a jumper moved to cope with being hooked to a manual instead of an automatic. This thread belongs in the retrofitting forum by the way. Do a search for EJ22 swap.