Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What parts do i need for cv replacement?

I posted this in the wrong place originally. I need to do cv's and wheel bearings but I don't know exactly what I need to order for my 88 dl spfi. Anyone have some resources or thoughts? I have the posting so I think I can do it but I want to make sure I have all the parts I need. Some web sites say cv, axle, axle assembly, cv joint... Just not sure what exactly i need to replace. I assume i should do the wheel bearing at the same time. PLEASE let me know.

-Chris

for each side, get a whole axle, an inner and outer bearing(both the same) and an inner and outer bearing seal(both different)

may as well do ball joints and brake pads too while you are there

or you can rebuild the axles yourself, get boots and clamps. the inner side can be disassembled, but the outer side take special proceduure. you would have better luck with new axles, unless you know how to rebuild them

just like miles said:

2 axles

2 outer seals

2 inner seals

2 wheel bearings

wheel bearing grease

you might need an axle nut and cotter pin. axle should come with new ones, but i have seen them without new hardware before. plenty of people have reused the axle nuts and pins before, but warnings abound on using new hardware. i've reused axle nuts before, but normally i do not. i've never been able to find them at an autoparts store and i've seen subaru want like 13 dollars each for them! on a side note, it's a big help to make sure you have a really good socket for removing the axle nut, it is on there very tight. 3/4 inch wratchet should be used, avoid 1/2 inch if you can. (i've broken 2 1/2 inch socket wrenches and one 1/2 inch breaker bar on axle nuts). finally got a 3/4 inch, great move.