Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hub Bearing Problems

Hello all,

I am a new member and hopefully this is the right spot to post this question.

If not,maybe you can direct me.

I have a 1999 Subaru Outback Sport and it has 70K miles so far.

For the past 2 years or so I have been racking up maint. bills for hub bearing problems. This car is not abused or used to do any heavy hauling.

The first time it was brought to my attention by the dealer and fixed. Then it happened again....

I went to a auto shop because it was so expensive the first time.

The mechanic told me that Subaru is very familiar with this problem, but they wont recall it.

Anyway, now I am experiencing the same loud noise coming from

the back of the car, a year after getting it fixed for the third time from another mechanic.

Does anyone know about this? I don't want to dump the car just yet.

you should post this (a moderator will eventually move it) to Newer Generation of Subaru's section. This is Older Generation of Subaru's.

this isn't typical, something is wrong though i can't tell you what. the bearings shouldn't go out at 70,000 miles (unless you have an SVX) and it shouldn't be recurring either. i'd wonder if either place actually replaced them or just repacked them. and did they replace the wheel seals? the same bearing keeps failing, all three times?

are you sure it's wheel bearings every time? unfortuantely i'm skeptical of mechanics

my aunt had an outback and the wheel came off whilst driving. my loyale had a bearing problem that was fixed 2 times, then i had the wheel come off in a parking lot because my hub assembly went. take off your tire and inspect around the castor nut if it is loose even with the cotter pin in it you probably have a stripped assembly. if there are lots of little metal shavings around the nut that too should give you an idea. but search the newere gen message board you should find someone that can help you

Hello all,

I am a new member and hopefully this is the right spot to post this question.

If not,maybe you can direct me.

I have a 1999 Subaru Outback Sport and it has 70K miles so far.

For the past 2 years or so I have been racking up maint. bills for hub bearing problems. This car is not abused or used to do any heavy hauling.

The first time it was brought to my attention by the dealer and fixed. Then it happened again....

I went to a auto shop because it was so expensive the first time.

The mechanic told me that Subaru is very familiar with this problem, but they wont recall it.

Anyway, now I am experiencing the same loud noise coming from

the back of the car, a year after getting it fixed for the third time from another mechanic.

Does anyone know about this? I don't want to dump the car just yet.